Helmets??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bloody hell, ok, wish I'd kept quiet and read the other threads, sorry to rake over old ground.
You're very wise!

Bloody hell, ok, wish I'd kept quiet and read the other threads, sorry to rake over old ground.
By now you must have guessed by the trail of posts that this has nothing to do with helmets per se. There is pletora of stuff on the internet and then there is a common sense.

Sorry for the runaround. You posting this on the beginners sub-forum was not inappropriate. We should have behaved better.

Nor be bullied by the non wearers too.

Seems to me that only atempt own at imposing ones wishes on the original poster is here:

Best of luck. I would encourage you to read these threads however.

You will learn about the danger of walking up a flight of stairs - and how its more dangerous than sitting on a 7kg piece of carbon on 23 mm tyres whilst descending a mountain pass at 35mph...

You will also learn about the dangers of walking around your kitchen,shed or hallway and usefully learn that apparently youre more at risk of head injury by getting a tin of baked beans out of the cupboard than negotiating a 20 percent slope on a ragged mountain path in Wales whilst riding a full suspension MTB.

You will learn that getting in your car and driving 1 mile to the corner shop at a speed not exceeding 22 mph will put you at far more at risk of a lethal head injury than descending the Ventoux at 44mph.

You will be shown lots of pictures of bashed in cycle helmets taken by real people on this forum- IGNORE THEM. They mean nothing as some freak of science actually means that their head should really have been yanked from their spinal cord by the mere presence of the the lid on their bonce and they are truely fortunate that it never happened...idiots....why...because A & E is full of people who hurt their heads as a result of wearing helmets.

No the world hasnt turned upside down....read on.

You will learn what compression is and people will insist on viewing your compressed helmet after you landed on it head first at 20mph.....they will insist that a 12mm compression of you helmet would not have hurt your bare skull in the slightest and your'e a nancy boy for even suggesting it might just have. Chuck some loony equation into the mix and you will be fobbed off with your tail between your legs

square route of fook all + e minus 6 g 9- minus some law of motion +6....see how I did that ? that means your helmet is a worthless piece of crap.

You will also learn that if compulsory helmet wearing is brought in a whole nation will get simply die off and disappear from the map due to being fat bastards .

You will also learn that to simply question these marvelous facts is referred to a "trolling", you might even be accused of stalking and probably be told to f^ck off in the process. You might even get a temporary ban for your troubles if your'e lucky.

The choice is yours. However if you want a fair debate about the subject on a level playing field...go elsewhere.

Doog is one of the "Wear a helmet or we will all die painfully" Brigade, so doesn't like this simple mantra being questioned.

They can help in some circumatsnces, hinder in others and their effectiveness can be questionable overall

For instance they are only designed to work at low impact speeds, so the "descnding Ventoux at 44 mph" in the belief that your helmet is going to be effective is an unsafe fantasy and where the danger lies

Doog has raised some excellent points here.... ignore his bitter sarcasm and read the actual evidence for yourself

Then make up your own mind

Last edited:

david k

Hi
Best of luck. I would encourage you to read these threads however.

You will learn about the danger of walking up a flight of stairs - and how its more dangerous than sitting on a 7kg piece of carbon on 23 mm tyres whilst descending a mountain pass at 35mph...

You will also learn about the dangers of walking around your kitchen,shed or hallway and usefully learn that apparently youre more at risk of head injury by getting a tin of baked beans out of the cupboard than negotiating a 20 percent slope on a ragged mountain path in Wales whilst riding a full suspension MTB.

You will learn that getting in your car and driving 1 mile to the corner shop at a speed not exceeding 22 mph will put you at far more at risk of a lethal head injury than descending the Ventoux at 44mph.

You will be shown lots of pictures of bashed in cycle helmets taken by real people on this forum- IGNORE THEM. They mean nothing as some freak of science actually means that their head should really have been yanked from their spinal cord by the mere presence of the the lid on their bonce and they are truely fortunate that it never happened...idiots....why...because A & E is full of people who hurt their heads as a result of wearing helmets.

No the world hasnt turned upside down....read on.

You will learn what compression is and people will insist on viewing your compressed helmet after you landed on it head first at 20mph.....they will insist that a 12mm compression of you helmet would not have hurt your bare skull in the slightest and your'e a nancy boy for even suggesting it might just have. Chuck some loony equation into the mix and you will be fobbed off with your tail between your legs

square route of fook all + e minus 6 g 9- minus some law of motion +6....see how I did that ? that means your helmet is a worthless piece of crap.

You will also learn that if compulsory helmet wearing is brought in a whole nation will get simply die off and disappear from the map due to being fat bastards .

You will also learn that to simply question these marvelous facts is referred to a "trolling", you might even be accused of stalking and probably be told to f^ck off in the process. You might even get a temporary ban for your troubles if your'e lucky.

The choice is yours. However if you want a fair debate about the subject on a level playing field...go elsewhere.
This is the best post I have ever read on CC, fantastic and funny.

Seems to me that only atempt own at imposing ones wishes on the original poster is here:

Doog is one of the "Wear a helmet or we will all die painfully" Brigade, so doesn't like this simple mantra being questioned.

They can help in some circumatsnces, hinder in others and their effectiveness can be questionable overall

For instance they are only designed to work at low impact speeds, so the "descnding Ventoux at 44 mph" in the belief that your helmet is going to be effective is an unsafe fantasy and where the danger lies

Doog has raised some excellent points here.... ignore his bitter sarcasm and read the actual evidence for yourself

Then make up your own mind
I also see that the first person to have a dig at a group.....,is you. Labelling people evangelists and bullies.

I also see that the first person to have a dig at a group.....,is you. Labelling people evangelists and bullies.

Sometimes the truth hurts?

Read what was written?

Which was the first post that tried to impose their position?

Which posts are suggesting that the decision is up to the OP?

and from an industry where there use, helmets, is mandatory http://simplifiedsafety.co.uk/blog/the_clock_is_ticking_on_your_hard_hat/
"We have found an interesting discussion regarding the manufacturing / expiry date of hardhats on the HSE Website. It touches on some good points regarding the effects of adding stickers with regards to the adhesive and the effect of UV light on hardhats."

http://webcommunities.hse.gov.uk/connect.ti/construction/messageshowthread?threadid=26478

Just remember that not everyone will either want to wear one or not wear one. Personal choice. Like anything else what you do with regards cycling is up to you.

Except single panniers..... there are limits?

TheSoulReaver03

Some people wear it, some don't. It's personal preference and the confidence in how much control you have over your bike. By the way, if you don't fall on the top of your head, rather on the forehead, then the impact launches your jaw into the pavement. Not so much better. It has its cons.

Sometimes the truth hurts?

Read what was written?

Which was the first post that tried to impose their position?

Which posts are suggesting that the decision is up to the OP?
You in post 4. You told the op what to do and labelled one side of tge arguemebt in derogatory terms. You may or may not be right but it is you who started furst.

You in post 4. You told the op what to do and labelled one side of tge arguemebt in derogatory terms. You may or may not be right but it is you who started furst.

THank yu fro your reply confirming that my post was an example of suggesting the OP made up their own mind

I agree absolutely, I did tell the OP what to do....
Read the evidence, make up your own mind and don't' be bullied by the "Wear a helmet or be a vegetable" evangelists

It is a little worrying that that telling them to make up their own mind is somehow wrong

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So, I've been hangin around for a week or so now and I've kinda noticed there's a wee "thing " ref the wearing of helmets. Do we like them or are they just tolerated because they're safer but it's not the law to wear them. I didn't wear mine on my last ride out because I was off the road on a designated track /cycle path. What is the general consensus??

Read the available evidence and make a decision based on your assessment of it. It's entirely your choice.

GC
(a non-wearer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom