Helmets??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSoulReaver03

Far more complex.... it is a bit of plastic, with a bit of polystyrene and some straps

Damn, sorry, forgot the straps.

THank yu fro your reply confirming that my post was an example of suggesting the OP made up their own mind

I agree absolutely, I did tell the OP what to do....

It is a little worrying that that telling them to make up their own mind is somehow wrong
Nah, the boy abiut not following those dusagree with you is where you tell the op what to do.

Eat meat or don't, just don't let those tree hugging hippies tell you to not eat meat.

Pretending to be fair then showing bias, telling the op and insulting all in one sentence.

classic33

Leg End Member
I wear one, on two wheels, but I feel its up to the other person to make that choice for themselves.
I don't force the fact that I wear one on them, and in return I'd expect not to be told either to wear one on four wheels or not to wear one on two wheels.

Each to their own, until they become mandatory.

Nah, the boy abiut not following those dusagree with you is where you tell the op what to do.

Eat meat or don't, just don't let those tree hugging hippies tell you to not eat meat.

Pretending to be fair then showing bias, telling the op and insulting all in one sentence.

There is no disagreement, simply correcting unjustified claims

Anecdata and emotive blackmail has no place in the debate,
Fark me. Still, it takes all sorts.
Davidk used to believe that helmets offered facial protection, until it was proven otherwise

However he is still in the avid pro-helmet camp

That is why he and Doog form a mutual support network

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Don't take it personally - it's just a slightly touchy subject as you will have noticed if you have ventured into the helmet "debates" place :okay:.
Welcome to CC, BTW.. If you prefer a quiet life, don't mention helmets or whether to wave or not to wave at other cyclists; and whatever you do, do not click here. :laugh:
And if you do...for the love of god don't mention benefits.

Welcome by the way

Drago

Legendary Member
I want to be convinced they work, I really, genjinely do. The thought that a lid can save lives and prevent serious injury is a noble one.

The bottom line is despite any supposed claims about energy absorption or redirection, reduction in acceleration etc, there is still no firm evidence that they save lives or reduce serious injuries. Indeed, if one goes by raw user data alone then the experience of countries that have made them compulsory is that the death and serious injury rate per cycling capita actually rises. How can this be so if these devices save lives?

Its like high visibility garments - in lab conditions they have been shown to make the wearer more conspicuous, but this has not translated to the live environment where there is no evidence that wearing one makes the user any less likely to get mowed down. The DoT tried very hard to prove their efficacy by comparing historic collision data from 3 decades ago before such garments were regularly worn, with modern data where roadworkers now invafiably wear them, but were unable to identify a corresponding drop in fafalities.

I suspect the same may be true of helmets. In the lab with a steel weight inside dropped upon an anvil they may indeed appear to function, but transplanted to a live environment there are no figures to show any shrinkage in injury and death rates.

snorri

Legendary Member
:rolleyes: :sad:

TheSoulReaver03

This is slowly turning into a deb8 thread. I guess the old helmet topics were going down the same way?

Bottom line : Wear it if you want to. Don't wear it if you don't want to. It provides a little protection, so it could save you from a force that would otherwise crack your skull, but only to a certain limit. Bottom line, it gives you a little more protection overall.

Why can't this debate end like this?

winjim

Smash the cistern
This is slowly turning into a deb8 thread. I guess the old helmet topics were going down the same way?

Bottom line : Wear it if you want to. Don't wear it if you don't want to. It provides a little protection, so it could save you from a force that would otherwise crack your skull, but only to a certain limit. Bottom line, it gives you a little more protection overall.

Why can't this debate end like this?
Because not everybody agrees with you.

Don't wear a helmet. Helmets are for losers. And don't eat meat. The global animal agriculture industry is responsible for more environmental destruction than everything else put together.

Drago

Legendary Member
a shame then that nature equipped us with inscissors, thin tooth enamel, and a digestive system unsuited to a pure veg diet then.

Over population and rampant consumption resources is killing the planet, not people eating the diet their bodies have adapted to over hundreds of thousands of years.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't wear a helmet. Helmets are for losers. And don't eat meat. The global animal agriculture industry is responsible for more environmental destruction than everything else put together.
Been shoved into second place by the biofuel industry now though.

Earlier comparison made with regards stairs & cycling. I came down the stairs backwards, cup in hand, no damage.
On being helped up, the front of the skull got cracked open when I hit the corner of the wall.

Been shoved into second place by the biofuel industry now though.

Earlier comparison made with regards stairs & cycling. I came down the stairs backwards, cup in hand, no damage.
On being helped up, the front of the skull got cracked open when I hit the corner of the wall.

......... head injuries on stairs don't count, hurt less and aren't worth preventing..... so man up and stop whinging!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom