Helmets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I made no statement on my own beliefs. Your only argument could be that you believe in helmets but you don’t believe the shelf life they come with. Therefore my statement doesn’t hold true. Is that your argument? I’m not sure what viewpoint you are trying to put forward.
We've completely got our knickers in a twist here!

Some fella asked about helmets being out of date, you then said, or so I thought, if you believe in them then yes.

I assumed that you didn't believe in helmets so I asked you why would it matter them being out of date if they were of no use?

I wear a helmet and think they're important, along with life spans, whether you do is neither here nor there to me.

Clearer?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We've completely got our knickers in a twist here!

Speak for yourself. No knicker twisting here. Just a statement I thought would help the OP in their decision making.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not starting a debate but if helmets are of no use anyway why would an 'out of date ' one be a problem?
The likelihood is there would be no problem. None at all.

But, assuming you're a believer in the efficacy of helmets, are you willing to bet your life on that?

For the sake of a relatively minor outlay I would suggest there is no coherent argument whatsoever against renewing a lid as the manufacturer recommends. The odds are well in your favour but for the sake of 30 or 40 sheets why bother gambling at all?

You either believe the manufacturers or you don't. This whole, "I believe the spiel from manufacturers about helmets saving lives, but don't belive the spiel from manufacturers about the need to periodically replace them" is bizare. Why believe them about one thing but not another? Selectively beliveing in someone inasmuch as it conveniently agrees with your willingness to open your wallet/purse wallet is a nonsensical stance, but sadly not an unusual one.

A non believer wouldn't be wearing a lid anyway, which makes your contention a completely moot point. Nevertheless, simply holding a different belief and being a non-believer does not disqualify a person from pointing out the lack of logic displayed by someone who holds an opposing viewpoint. In that regard he was quite correct.

Last edited:
The likelihood is there would be no problem.

But, assuming you're a believer, are you willing to bet your life on that?

For the sake of a relatively minor outlay I would suggest there is no coherent argument whatsoever against renewing a lid as the manufacturer recommends. The odds are well in your favoir but for the sake of 30 or 40 sheetswhy bother gambliing at all?
Not at all, I wear one and replace accordingly.

As I attempted to explain above I thought someone who doesn't think helmets were of much use was saying it was important which I found odd.

The advice given was correct though.

gom

Über Member
Thanks @postman for the original post. Googling gives me some interesting info I have not looked at for some time. In the last 5 years my helmet has thudded to the ground (with my head inside it) a couple of times. A new one would be money well spent.
I‘m lucky to have several close LBSs, so finding one I like should not be difficult.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I got a Specialized helmet must be nearly 6 years ago from someone on here and it's so comfy I've just kept wearing it. Wonder if it would still work if I bash my bonce? I do have a new one, but it's just not quite so comfy.

gom

Über Member
Gloss blue xl 58-61
Nice (probably). My current is nearly-white. I’m sure there must be more interesting colours to be had locally.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice (probably). My current is nearly-white. I’m sure there must be more interesting colours to be had locally.

Got a matt black and gloss neon green 'Enduro' PX helmet, and a gloss black XC helmet. Neon Green for when I land in stinging nettles and someone can at least find me.

Like anything, replace when it's worn or damaged. My last few 'replacements' have been through landing on my noggin quite hard, once road, catapulted by a car, and another when a tree stump jumped out at me, no idea where the tree stump came from ! :laugh:

Go Camping have some deals on, £160 Bontrager for £50! Didn't fit, boo hoo. My 2001 Specialized lid will have to keep going for a bit ^_^

yo vanilla

A question I'd pose, which admittedly I did not yet research, is what makes the helmet materials degrade? Is it exposure to sun or heat? Is it just being exposed to air at all (suspecting the former, I am)?

Therefore would a casual/occasional rider need to replace his/her helmet as often as a daily rider, according to the said shelf life?

Top Bottom