Help! £600 to spend at Evans - but what type bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoG

Veteran
For reasons that would take ages to explain, I have a cyclescheme voucher for £600 to spend at Evans.

The trouble is, the more I look, the more I change my mind about what type of bike to buy. One day I settle on a Charge Plug 1 (plus lots of extra bits n pieces to make up the balance), then I fancy a Jamis Aurora tourer, then a cyclocross, a road bike,then a mountain bike.

My commute is 21 miles, every second day, as I work double shifts. I can either stay on the black stuff all the way, or can use canal towpaths for 16 of those miles. I am 51, moderately fit, with knees in reasonable shape. I do have a car, so cycling to work is not a necessity.
Also like to use the bike for general fitness training, cycling round the park with my kids etc.

Anyone help me sort my head out with best bike suggestions please. I currently have a Btwin Original 5 city commuter thingy. Thanks very.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you done test rides on the different options?

Either the cyclocross or the tourer would allow you the option of both on and off road with ease and take panniers for whatever you need to take to work. Thinner tyres for either would make road work much easier when you want a long road ride.

How good are the canal towpaths BTW? Round here even with a mtb they are a disaster. I take it they are reasonable? Hardcore?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Twenty one miles is a long way mostly on canal paths where, for lots of reasons, it's usually hard to maintain a good speed.

If you are prioritising commuting, that leads you to a road or cyclocross bike.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Hi,
No, not tested anything yet. The towpath isnt too bad, Erewash from Langley Mill to Sawley for those who know it. I have done the commute on the Btwin a few times, not too quickly!- then again, its a heavy old beast with very relaxed riding position. Not really prioritising the commute, but it would need to be capable.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am not the tallest man, but usually need a medium, or size 54-56. No-one going for the singlespeed?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Single speeds are great as long as no big ups or downs. I was loving the simplicity of my touché, I like the just pedal! Great n+1 but wouldn't want as my only bike, not a problem :whistle:

Top Bottom