Help a beginner spend!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLammy

So with the bike choice chosen at a Giant store yesterday (Defy 1 Disc), I now need to buy all of the clothing and accessories I need. With several online stores having discounts for the bank holiday (CRC, Tredz etc.), it seems wise to buy things ASAP!

I'll need everything a beginner needs:

- Bib Shorts
- Base Layers
- Jerseys
- Helmet
- Shoes
- Cleats
- Lights
- Replacement Tubes
- And anything else: Can't really think of what else I'll need

I've got a budget of around £300-400 for everything. Although I don't have to spend all if I really don't need to! But help me spend.
icon_biggrin.gif

Main purpose is to cycle to work, but would also use it on weekends in the summer, and maybe try a few bike events: London to Southend etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Gloves should be at the top of the list IMO
Pedals, cleats come with those
Track pump
I'd add some decent wicking cycling socks
Multi tool, chain tool
Glasses to protect eyes
Some sort of light wind proof/shower proof jacket
Also get a lightweight wind proof gilet
And a buff

And a bloody good lock or two, plus make sure the bike is insured. Depending on how you will carry stuff to work, you'll need some sort of baggage or a decent rucksack which isn't sat right next to your back

Evans price match lots of online retailers so you could buy stuff from them, click and collect, can return clothing asap if no good

classic33

Leg End Member
What about a decent lock!

Too often it's the last thing considered, after the above has been bought and little, if any left to buy one.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
All as Vickster says, you will also need a mini pump to keep with you as well as the track pump for home.
Depending what time of day you cycle you may still need long finger gloves if it's chilly. Definately a pair of mitts.
2xbottles and cages for hydration.
Maybe a seat pack to keep tubes, tyre levers, multi tool and personal belongings with you.
Download the Strava app, I always think it useful to record mileage and average speed so you can see your progression into fitness.

OP
OP
J

JLammy

Thanks for all of the replies so far! You guys and girls are amazing!

I'll check out Wiggle as well as Evans. I also saw some Castelli items on sale on some sites (Tredz, CRC etc.) - would Castelli clothing items be a lot better?

It's a long process when trying to choose what to buy! Exhausting even if it is just online shopping!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Don't be too impatient to buy all the stuff straight away.

What you think you need now won't be what you find out you need after a month or two of riding.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks for all of the replies so far! You guys and girls are amazing!

I'll check out Wiggle as well as Evans. I also saw some Castelli items on sale on some sites (Tredz, CRC etc.) - would Castelli clothing items be a lot better?

It's a long process when trying to choose what to buy! Exhausting even if it is just online shopping!

Yes...they would be miles better for reducing your available budget quicker. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom