Help a beginner spend!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
Right now I would go for
Gloves
Shorts
Short sleeved jersey
Leg warmers
Arm warmers
Decent sunglasses
Cap
Helmet
Gilet/light jacket

As others have said, give it a couple of months and you will learn what else you need. A couple of pairs of decent shorts will probably be better for now than a single pair of great shorts.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
So with the bike choice chosen at a Giant store yesterday (Defy 1 Disc), I now need to buy all of the clothing and accessories I need. With several online stores having discounts for the bank holiday (CRC, Tredz etc.), it seems wise to buy things ASAP!

I'll need everything a beginner needs:

- Bib Shorts
- Base Layers
- Jerseys
- Helmet
- Shoes
- Cleats
- Lights
- Replacement Tubes
- And anything else: Can't really think of what else I'll need

I've got a budget of around £300-400 for everything. Although I don't have to spend all if I really don't need to! But help me spend.
icon_biggrin.gif

Main purpose is to cycle to work, but would also use it on weekends in the summer, and maybe try a few bike events: London to Southend etc.

Have some fun here!

http://www.bikebargains.co.uk/

OP
OP
J

JLammy

Thanks for the help on this guys! I've gone with the "Essentials" and I've ordered everything from Wiggle so far. Only a few missing items now:

SPD Pedals & Shoes! Think I'll need help on this one!

I bought an Abus Granit X Plus 540 D-Lock after reading several reviews, but I'm thinking I might need a cable or another D-Lock too? Don't want to risk losing the bike so easily!

vickster

Legendary Member
Wher are you leaving the bike and for how long. A second d lock is ideal if leaving in a high risk area, a cable for the front wheel if on,y leaving for a little while in view or a high traffic area in the daytime. Make sure the bike is properly insured too

Shoes, not essential, perhaps get used to riding the bike on normal flat pedals initially?

Look at the clipless FAQ in the beginner section. Shoes, unsurprisingly, get some that fit. Larger Evans stores have a decent range to try on

Helmet, ditto, try and buy. Fit and comfort crucial. Wiggle do free returns, but better to buy in store imo

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Add a small pack of wet wipes to your bag of goodies & a pair of latex gloves to help you with your inevitable 1st puncture , these will keep your hands clean & your bike not getting grubby :smile:

Top Bottom