help a newbie

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by crankbuster, 12 May 2008.

1. crankbuster

crankbuster Active Member

My Grand dad rode a fixed gear bike before the war,he told me the bike was as suntour.I looked up suntour on the net and couldn't find much out,apart from they were german i think.
    My late Grand dad was keen cyclist before the war and travel from Rotherham to Brownhills,to see family there on a regular basis.
    Are the good old days open roads on your nazi bike.:biggrin:
    Well i'd love to find out about this bike. ?

I,d love to build a fix gear racer and ride to Brownhills,some thing retro.?

Please educate me gears etc,the only fixed gear i have ever ridden was my grifter as a child,when the gear cable broke. ?

(I rode it so hard i broke the crank,that was the summer of 85(sound like a Brian Adams song)).

Thanks.

2. palinurus

palinurus Guru

I think they were Japanese as it goes. I'm not sure that bikes can be Nazis, still.

Think they also made bike parts rather than bikes.

But a fine idea to recreate this journey to Brownhills.

Your Grifter with the broken cable was a singlespeed- one gear ratio and a freewheel, with a fixed wheel you have a fixed gear ratio and you can't freewheel.

There are lots of fixed-gear and single speed bikes on sale these days.

I expect everything you need is here:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

3. OP
    OP
    crankbuster

No freewheel:blush:
    That could be an experience,toe clips and a big hill:ohmy:.
    legs like a fiddlers elbow.
    Still want to try it.

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Suntour did indeed make components, and very good too. I have a few bits in the garage somewhere I'm sure. The Guru has the answers as always...
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/suntour.html

Putting a fixed-wheel bicycle (not a fixed-gear) is fairly straight forward if you can find an old frame with sloping dropouts and a rear wheel with a screw-on block.
    Fixed gear bikes are great fun and highly addictive. They've become almost too cool for they're own good these days, but many enthusiasts have been riding them forever. I built my first when a student in London about 1983.

5. OP
    OP
    crankbuster

I think saw on the net that shimano ,bought the name suntour.

6. No.

7. simonali

simonali Über Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice