Help a novice day :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesh

I have been cycling regularly for a few years but only ever to and from work. Recently I decided to try a ride out for pleasure and found that I could easily cover a decent route (100 k ish) and really enjoyed it. I also run regularly so I am not in fit. Since I have been riding for pleasure more regularly and have really enjoyed it but consider myself a complete novice.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2934785?utm_source=top-nav

I have rebuilt by bike keeping the frame but swapping all the other parts mainly like for like with the odd upgrade and everything seems to work really well and I am very happy with it.

I recently bought a pair of bontrager shoes as my old pair were worn out which seemed to be where my problem started. During a ride after about an hour I get a slight pain in the outside of my right knee, I can continue to pedal for a number of hours after the pain starts and it is more irritating than anything. Once I stop and the day after the pain is worse and then two days after the pain is gone. I don't get any pain on short rides less than an hour and I don't get the pain running up to two hours. The area of the knee also swells slightly.

I have looked online and although I am convinced the problem is linked to the new shoes/bike setup I can't figure it out.

Any advice you have will be really appreciated as I am starting to make some progress and don't want to stop training for the sake of it :smile:

Thanks in advance!

James.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like the cleat position may be out assuming you are using cleats with the same degree of float

Or the shoes don't fit quite right? Perhaps try a specialized footbed

If it continues, see a bike fitter?

stephec

Legendary Member
As vickster says, shoe/cleat/pedal set up.

Were you using the same pedals with your old shoes?

Your new shoes may have a different sole thickness compared to your old ones, this will effectively alter your saddle height.

OP
OP
Jamesh

Jamesh

Thanks for your replies!

Yes I am using the same cleats and pedals with no adjustments.

My question is how do I properly adjust them?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have a look at ......
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/take-care-of-your-knees-part-2-17445/
cleatposdiag1-700-80.jpg
cleatposdiag2-700-80.jpg

OP
OP
Jamesh

Jamesh

Well so far so good thanks @cyberknight I adjusted my cleats following the link you sent and the problem seems to have gone, happy days!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom