Help! Anyone got a spare room in Edinburgh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Dear CC-ers

My nephew has missed his place at Durham by 1 point and waited for a re-mark - no good alas - but is very happy with his second choice of Edinburgh. However, he's only just got the re-mark and Scottish Universities start in a week. He's missed out on Halls so has to find digs 700 miles away with no chums to share with. His mother is a bit frantic (he less so I suspect) but we may need to find somewhere to put him for a couple of nights at the end of next week while he looks for digs.

If anyone has a spare room to let, or can give any advice on finding one, I'd be so grateful. He's a nice boy, house-trained and with clean habits!

His mother is now trying to persuade him to go to clearing and get a university which starts later just to take the pressure off. I think he should go to Edinburgh - a great city!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'd contact student welfare or student accommodation office at the University who should be able to help out.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I'd contact student welfare or student accommodation office at the University who should be able to help out.
Yes, they have been in contact with the University but they are not being very helpful unfortunately. They have given us a list of private landlords who are either too expensive or want pre-formed groups of students to move in. Apparently the accommodation office opens on Tuesday and I am hopeful that this will provide the solution. Thanks for the reply!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
An off the wall suggestion:

I'd use a back packer's hostel for the first week. Your nephew will only need the bare essentials; a rucksack, a pen and notebook, a change of underwear and several bottle of strong alcohol to supplement the booze imbibed during freshers week. He'll be able to roll in at unearthly hours and there will be plenty of youthful like-minded cohabitees to share a dorm with and it's a cheap temporary solution.

It's not as daft as it sounds......

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
An off the wall suggestion:

I'd use a back packer's hostel for the first week. Your nephew will only need the bare essentials; a rucksack, a pen and notebook, a change of underwear and several bottle of strong alcohol to supplement the booze imbibed during freshers week. He'll be able to roll in at unearthly hours and there will be plenty of youthful like-minded cohabitees to share a dorm with and it's a cheap temporary solution.

It's not as daft as it sounds......
Good call Vernon. I think his mum is a bit worried but I remember some of the floors I slept on in London in my own era. I will suggest it. Young Nephew is a sociable type so it would suit him I'm sure. And he's just come back from a hostelling holiday in Europe so he would know what to expect. Ta!

Top Bottom