HELP! Big boy bike for big boy needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smartie88

Hello all
I am looking to get a new bike, and using it as a way to help my get fit and weight loss campaign. Looking at standard bikes, obviously the weight limit is around 120kg. But my current weight I will need around 150kg. Just after some advice on the best bikes to look at, on a budget of up to £500-600. Understandably won’t be jumping off kerbs etc, but a bike ride with the family etc would be as much as it got.
Any help would be massively appreciated, as for a week now I’ve been looking and don’t feel any closer to making a decision 😩

OP
OP
S

Smartie88

Forgot to add, I’m also 6 foot 4 inches tall, so guessing biggest frame I can get??

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s come up on a few sites I’ve been looking at. I’ve been offered a Mongoose Amasa 20 inch frame bike. Not sure if that would be any good or not?
You need a bike with a solid frame, rigid front forks (no suspension) and lots of spokes on wheels (at least 32).
Do you have a link for the Mongoose

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Mongoose should suit you well but it’s likely to be twelve or more years old so you need to check it over carefully to see if it still functions correctly, the fork almost certainly won’t but that shouldn’t worry you. Check the wheels especially, spokes need to be tight and rims true. Ought to be cheap.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That bike should be fine, just check it over and make sure gears/brakes work. A change of cables might be a good idea.

Salar

A fish out of water
Mongoose if in good condition would be fine.

I'm a big lump and it reminds me slightly of my Kona Hoss which I doctored. It's slightly different now from the pic below with wider tyres, racks and guards.
The Hoss was discontinued quite a few years ago, but was designed for the "bigger" rider. in my case fatter :blush:

OP
OP
S

Smartie88

Hi all
Thanks for your comments. Below is what has been offered to me with price. Be keen for any feedback....

4D2D50D3-0514-44BE-B92B-A26F06309AC5.jpeg

This is the mongoose quoted £230

C5BDBF6B-9B95-48AB-A0A1-E9C7E5A0CCB8.jpeg

and this is a carrera hellcat 29er quoted £300

thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Salar

A fish out of water
That Mongoose looks ok, but I'd try to get it a bit cheaper. Unfortunatley lockdown demand has pushed prices up in the secondhand market.

If you aren't going on the rough stuff I'd consider changing the forks to rigid. If the existing forks are any good you could sell them on fleabay.

I don't know what the component specs are on these bikes, but if it were me I'd push for a better price on the Mongoose.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both are budget brands but should be fine if property maintained and in good condition. You really need to check them over.
Id say they are overpriced, both are having a giraffe as you can get a new Carrera for thirty quid more and the Mongoose is twelve or more years old. Maybe you can’t find the Carrera In stock now so maybe he’s trading on that and the hike in prices.

Top Bottom