*Help* Bike for University.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i used to leave a £1000 custom built mtb outside my uni building very often and never had a single problem

basically when you lock it up you need to be a complete arse about it

i could have locked it with two cables through the wheels and onto a D lock so it all came undone with one key, but no, 4 locks did the job nicely, locked away in a bit of campus that you only went through to get to one specific building.

Coventry university's campus is also a main foot path from two large car parks and the rough bit of the city into the centre.

as people have said, what ever you get, get the gaffa tape out or better still, paint.

my frame was white and I painted black splodges on it so it looked like a cow, all my friends thought it was kind of cool and i guess it was a bit too distinctive to consider pinching - that and there were no badges or logos to know what it was :evil:

a lock through the rear triangle and wheel holds the back end nicely, a lock through the front wheel looping through the fork bridge (if you have suspension forks) works well, both locks also locking to something more solid than the frame itself, if they want it, they'll have to cut the frame

position the locks to make it hard to get to and it'll be harder for them to pick,

get some superglue disolver incase anyone puts glue in your lock thinking they'll come back at 3am when its quiet :ohmy:

wafflycat

Have just bought THIS

http://www.mailorderbikes.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p1684

For the offspring to use this forthcoming uni year to cycle between his digs & campus. Bought off that web site, using a CC discount so paying even less. HURRAH!!

Last year, he was using an equivalent bike but it got nicked - not from campus but from his digs: long story.

Anyhow, saw the new model in a bike shop in Norwich today and for the price, it's reasonable.

ASC1951

Guru
ColinJ said:
My overall feeling was that leaving bikes in the open at Sheffield university is not a great idea!
Ah. My comment "e.g. not Sheffield" referred to my suggestion of a singlespeed as a minimalist bike - the city is much too hilly to manage without gears.

I don't think dishonest students (or opportunists who come onto University premises) are any more common there than at any other university.

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

Hello again,

Really appreciate the help and comments here. Wafflycat, thanks for posting the deal, it's a good bike with a good price, but not the one I'm looking for. I've had terrible experiences with those multi-gear bikes, plus it's a mountain one, which makes it heavier. I'd like to have a hybrid or something fast. I think the price I'm looking between is not helping.

Thanks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ASC1951 said:
Ah. My comment "e.g. not Sheffield" referred to my suggestion of a singlespeed as a minimalist bike - the city is much too hilly to manage without gears.

I don't think dishonest students (or opportunists who come onto University premises) are any more common there than at any other university.
I realised that but it reminded me of how shocked I was when I saw what was left of about 7 or 8 bikes in the stands there.

I wasn't really singling out Sheffield - stuff get stolen and/or vandalised in most big towns and cities.

PS Oh, I've just reread what I'd written. I did single out Sheffield...

Okay, scrub that...

My overall feeling is that leaving bikes in the open in most big towns and cities in the UK is not a great idea!

wafflycat

Kr4t0z said:
Hello again,

Really appreciate the help and comments here. Wafflycat, thanks for posting the deal, it's a good bike with a good price, but not the one I'm looking for. I've had terrible experiences with those multi-gear bikes, plus it's a mountain one, which makes it heavier. I'd like to have a hybrid or something fast. I think the price I'm looking between is not helping.

Thanks

It's actually not that heavy. Wafflycat Minor knows his bikes, having many, including a top of the range carbon fibre time trial bike, including carbon wheels... saw the very same bike in a bike shop today, WC Mnr picked it up and nodded... it's not that heavy for what it is. Indeed, it may be MTB shaped, but it's not a true off-roader, it's fine for basic commuter pootling. What's your problem with geared bikes? Is it a maintenance/set-up thing? Is it the actual using of them?

On the site I linked to there's an entire section devoted to hybrids - click on where it says 'town/comfort/leisure'

Top Bottom