*Help* Bike for University.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kr4t0z

Hello,

I've been recommended by a friend to use this site, as he was also offered help. I'm willing to buy a bike for university and daily commuting. I just want a good one that will do the job. Looking between 100 - 180 pounds.

Thanks in advance,
Kr4T

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
my first bit of advise, get a damn good lock, probably best to get 2 or at least a krypton cable. Bikes so often get knicked from uni's. also remember to lock both wheels.

Secondly take the bike to the local cop station and get it stamped with your post code and the seriel number taken, then if it is stolen and retrived by the cops, you can get it back.

and lastly, get one that doesn't look flash, but does the job. genreally if it doesn't look flash, and is secure, it won't get any bother.

what is it like around your uni? hilly or flat.

ASC1951

Guru
Special rules apply for university bikes - anything worth having will get pinched, even if you keep it in your room/flat/cardboard box. Not that you would get anything worth having for 100-180, unless you go severely secondhand.

Fortunately all university town have a huge stock of old bikes. The Police Auctions are often a good place to start.

What you need is a chipped, battered road bike or hybrid with straight wheels and working brakes, plus the basic tools to keep it fettled. Depending on where you will be - e.g. not Sheffield - there is a good case for having a flat barred singlespeed. Does the job with the minimum of fuss.

GrasB

Veteran
The bike you're looking for is second hand cycling enthusiast old drop-bar training bike, because it's done 10k miles or more looks like a dog if you go by condition of the frame but runs really well. Get decent lock or 2, if you get 2 locks have them as different makes btw.

gavintc

Guru
I bought my son a cheap Giant Rock MTB - This was a good cheap transport for him. However, his flat was burgled and the thief bundled all the laptops into a rucksack and then rode off on his bike. He was gutted, especially as the insurance company replaced it with a GT MTB which does the job, but he does not like as much. Still it has got him to his summer job and he uses it back and forth from uni.

wafflycat

Get in contact with your university 'estates' 'security' department, or possibly students' union. Ask about the availablity of secure bicycle parking on campus. Many universities have this these days. Example, at the uni my son attends, there are special compunds all over campus which are substantial, locked, and inside are sheffield stands you can then lock your bike to.

Llama

Veteran
Edinburgh bike co op sell good reasonable bikes - check out their site.

You might want to think about a folding bike? - keep it in your room etc??

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

Aw Hello again,

I haven't been to the university yet. It' s Nottingham University. I assume the land will be flat and mostly on roads, probably. I'm not sure yet. Should I look for a good second hand cycle? Since I've read a lot of posts saying I wont get a good brand new bike with this price, but I'm not willing to put more since it's for university's purposes. I'll be going back and forth from Uni to the flat im living in, which is approximately 25 mins walk, and with bike it's much less.

Thanks again,
Kr4T

beancounter

Kr4t0z said:
I'll be going back and forth from Uni to the flat im living in, which is approximately 25 mins walk

Why don't you just walk, and spend the bike money on beer.

bc

Will1985

Über Member
Fresher? Many uni halls prohibit the storage of bikes in rooms (citing an obstruction in the event of a fire)...doesn't stop the club cyclists with expensive bikes!

Wait until you are there - halls facilities can be pretty poor with some moveable Sheffield stands, or quality as wafflycat said.

Remember that when you are at lectures the likelihood is that the stands will be open to the elements to the drivetrain will take a battering during bad weather. Most of the bikes I can see on my campus from where I sit now are probably 2nd hand ones bought for less than £50.

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

Thanks for the suggestion beancounter, but no, I'd like to have one since it would take me less time to reach from point A to B. About Gras B's comment, I had a friend who worked at a company where they tested cycles and. once done, sold at a much lower price. My friend is away now and I can't get hold of him, so is there a place somewhere to check where I can get second hand bikes in good condition and does the job pretty well? Maybe in Nottingham?

Thanks for the comments,
Kr4t0z

MajorMantra

Kr4t0z said:
Aw Hello again,

I haven't been to the university yet. It' s Nottingham University. I assume the land will be flat and mostly on roads, probably. I'm not sure yet. Should I look for a good second hand cycle? Since I've read a lot of posts saying I wont get a good brand new bike with this price, but I'm not willing to put more since it's for university's purposes. I'll be going back and forth from Uni to the flat im living in, which is approximately 25 mins walk, and with bike it's much less.

Thanks again,
Kr4T

I would go used as others have said. An older road bike or tourer would be perfect.

By the way, this is a bargain for a good lock - it's a sale item so be quick if you want it.

You should find out specifics about bike storage from the uni. If they aren't forthcoming, you could also try asking here.

Matthew

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ASC1951 said:
Special rules apply for university bikes - anything worth having will get pinched, even if you keep it in your room/flat/cardboard box. Not that you would get anything worth having for 100-180, unless you go severely secondhand.

Fortunately all university town have a huge stock of old bikes. The Police Auctions are often a good place to start.

What you need is a chipped, battered road bike or hybrid with straight wheels and working brakes, plus the basic tools to keep it fettled. Depending on where you will be - e.g. not Sheffield - there is a good case for having a flat barred singlespeed. Does the job with the minimum of fuss.
I wandered round the Sheffield university campus a few years back and this is what I saw at one of the cycle stands:
  • Bikes securely locked, but with one or both wheels missing.
  • Wheels locked up with the bikes missing (!).
  • Tatty old bikes locked up sensibly (through frame and both wheels) but with parts missing (saddle, pedals etc.)
  • Very securely locked bikes which had clearly been jumped on until they were reduced to scrap!

My overall feeling was that leaving bikes in the open at Sheffield university is not a great idea!

A mate's son had his MTB nicked in his first 2 weeks there.

iLB

Hello there
ColinJ said:
I wandered round the Sheffield university campus a few years back and this is what I saw at one of the cycle stands:
  • Bikes securely locked, but with one or both wheels missing.
  • Wheels locked up with the bikes missing (!).
  • Tatty old bikes locked up sensibly (through frame and both wheels) but with parts missing (saddle, pedals etc.)
  • Very securely locked bikes which had clearly been jumped on until they were reduced to scrap!

My overall feeling was that leaving bikes in the open at Sheffield university is not a great idea!

A mate's son had his MTB nicked in his first 2 weeks there.

this does not bode well for me... :evil:

Top Bottom