Help - Brakes Rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, bike is back from service (finally) and I was just about to go on a ride when I noticed one of the rear brake blocks is rubbing slightly on the wheel at one point in the wheel turn. Took the wheel out to see if maybe it wasn't in completely straight, but that doesn't seem to be the problem, the brake block is just too close to the rim.

Don't want it to rub all weekend, and bike shop not open again till Monday, so I have to do it myself.

Just can't work out which screw I need to turn, is it that tiny screw on the arm? Which way do I turn it? Or do I have to do something completely different? What does the one on the brake lever on the bars do?

Am looking at the bike book, but it's not very clear (they are v-brakes by the way), please help, so I can still go on a ride tonight!!!!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Well, have experimented...turned tiny screw and it appears to be a lot better...no idea if that was the right thing to do, but it seems to have helped...see if it lasts...

Which brings me to question 2, just had a look at the adjuster thing for the lever, and for the front brake, it appears to be "screwed out" pretty much all the way, with a lot of the screw thing showing - is this normal?

llllllll

No overly familar with V brakes, so excuse the lack of detail in this reply.

You should be able to undo the bolt that clamps the cable, it'll be on top of one of the brake arms (are they called that?). Only undo it a turn or two, whilst holding the brake arms. Allow a tiny amount of cable back through before re-tightening the bolt. That should slack the brakes enough for the wheel to rotate freely, without losing too much braking power. Remember to test your brakes i.e a couple of hard stops before you actually 'need' to, after adjusting them to get used to how they feel.
Hope that's good enough to get you out.

llllllll

punkypossum said:
Which brings me to question 2, just had a look at the adjuster thing for the lever, and for the front brake, it appears to be "screwed out" pretty much all the way, with a lot of the screw thing showing - is this normal?

That adjuster moves the blocks closer to the wheel when screwed out. If you screw it back in a couple turns you will slacken the brakes, do it just enough to free the wheel, otherwise you'll lose all braking power.

buddha

Veteran
Doh, I replied to your post in the Beginners section, but as you deleted your question I deleted my answer:biggrin:

From what you said it sounds like your wheel is slightly out of true (block rubs rim on one point of a revolution). Best sorted by your LBS if you're not familiar with this.

Re the screws - being out more on one side. I had this recently. If you look at the brake arms, they should each have a 'spring' (piece of wire, a bit thicker than a spoke) that runs the length of the arm. in my case the spring was bent too much.
I took it out and straightened it a bit, and all was fine.

the tiny screws near to the pivot bolts are for centering the brakes, i usually tighten one side to push the pad away from the rim and slightly slacken the other.
the screw at the lever is for taking up the slack that develops as the pads wear. i.e. to keep the pads the same distance from the rim as when they were new, if you don't do that the brake lever could eventually hit the bars.
it's not good practice to have it screwed all the way out.
if you don't need new brake pads then the screw should really be screwed back into the lever and the cable clamp on the v brakes loosened and the cable pulled tight before re tightening.
if the brakes are working ok then there is no problem from a safety point of view but I'd have thought that a service would have sorted that out.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
piedwagtail91 said:
if the brakes are working ok then there is no problem from a safety point of view but I'd have thought that a service would have sorted that out.

They have only been like this since the service!!! As for the lbs being lazy, it wouldn't actually surprise me anymore after the problems we had recently... Is it worth taking it back and asking them to adjust it properly or would that just me being overly fussy? Because I'm definitely not confident doing that (and don't actually see why I should, considering I paid for the service...)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would take it back in.... after a full service I would expect the bike to be better and brakes definately not rubbing. That is what you PAID for:smile:

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Well, it all got a bit more complicated, went out for a ride on Saturday night and the back brake was definitely not right. Unfortunately, the shop that did the service is closed on Sundays, plus Sunday was our last chance to do a long ride before Amsterdame (and I wasn't happy riding the bike the way it was). Also, I knew it was going to be virtually impossible to get the bike to the shop this week with me being at work and their opening hours, so in desperation I rang another local shop, they kindly agreed to adjust it for me on the spot, so I got there, guy said leave it with me, pick it up in half an hour. When I returned after half an hour, he informed me there was a problem, because the big bolt had been stripped through overtightening, one of the washers was completely cracked and basically the brake had not even been safe.

He was an absolute star, the brakes he had in did not fit my bike, and because he knew there was no time for him to order one, he removed the brake of one of the shop bikes and fitted it for me there and then (and showed me what he was doing every step of the way)...So yes, it has cost me extra money, but to be quite honest, at least I feel confident that the bike is safe now (plus with the time pressure, I didn't really have the option of taking it back to the original shop)... The other LBS has definitely lost at least two customers and I will be sending them a very disgruntled letter, especially after the other problems we had recently!!!! Paying for a service where the brake gets broken is not my idea of "service"

On the other hand: Huge thank you to Fulwood Cycles!!!

Moral of the story: I really need to go on a maintenance course so I can do most things myself properly, think half of the problem is the shop knowing we are beginners and thinking we would not notice... :wacko:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK I wouldn't take it in ... if they are going to leave it in a worse state than when it went in...

I would love to do a really thorough maintence course ... but it would be having the time and the money.

domtyler

Über Member
Do more than complain, demand that they pay for the bike to be made good, i.e. pick up the bill from Fulwood cycles. If they refuse, tell them that you are prepared to take it to the small claims court. Don't accept this poor level of service PP!!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Moral of the story: I really need to go on a maintenance course so I can do most things myself properly, think half of the problem is the shop knowing we are beginners and thinking we would not notice... :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Also may be worthwhile investing in a good book. Personally I've got 'Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance' tis rather good tho I'm sure others will recommend other books.

Also worth visiting the park tools website and Sheldon Brown of course. Also on youtube there seem to be a few bike maintenance videos.

and of course posting on here!

domtyler

Über Member
punkypossum said:
I don't think I can ask them to pay for it, would I not have to give them a chance to make good first? (Which I didn't, because I couldn't with the time constraints...)

No, they were not open and you needed the bike. From what you have told us here they shagged your bike and returned it to you in a dangerous condition. They should think themselves lucky you are not going to sue.

Come on PP, just call them up and get the result you deserve, it's not hard once you get started. :laugh:

Top Bottom