Help, Doing London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gooner boy

Hello everyone,

Please forgive me, I am fairly new to cycling and not very good on computers!

I and a few friends have registered to do the London to Brighton, and I need some help.

I have a basic mountain bike and am looking to upgrade but only have £300 to spend. Really want to stick with a mountain bike.

Can any one help?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
welcome gooner boy. for starters, get a set of slick tyres (i.e. treadless, 26 x 1.25). if your mtb has suspension forks, get them replaced with a pair of steel ones (local bike shops might have some second hand pairs for buttons).

the bike will ride far smoother and faster on the road after that. and you'll have spent far less than £300.

Tynan

Veteran
people do that on bikes that look like they've come off scrap heaps, really

so your existing bike would do it, road tyres would be a blessing as said

£300 would get a decent hybrid or indeed mtb if that's what you want, don't stress about the ride, it'll be a gas and the pace is very easy if that's what you want, if it ain't, set off very early to avoid the crowds

Welcome, and you don't have to apologise here!

Keep the mountain bike, unless you're thinking of cycling on a more regular basis - there's a hell of a lot of fun to be had cycling.

Look to get some narrower tyres, if you have the knobbly MTB tyres! This will make your progress a lot easier.

Get some suitable clothing - bib shorts with padding, for example will make the journey more comfortable, a good shirt (for wicking away sweat, and for keeping you warm), warm jacket, rain jacket, gloves, glasses, helmet (optional), if not bike shoes, then something comfortable and waterproof, lights for bike, basic tool/pu*cture repair kit, bottle (two) and cage for water, handlebar bag for snacks, camera, mobile phone etc!

And make sure you get the miles in before the event.

A mate of mine did this years ago and chatted up Sharon Davies - he didn't pull her, though!

Good luck, even though I'm a Spurs fan! ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi gooner boy

What are you riding today?

Slicks will help, as will not having suspension.
My mate did 80 miles last week on an old steel MTB to which he added slicks. He wore a pair of cycle-shorts and a footie top. Prior to that the furthest he'd been was 40 miles!

The L2B is not too daunting, honest. Get some good miles in before-hand, there's plenty of time. Get used to spending time in the saddle.

On the day, start early, take frequent short stops for a quick nibble and drink. Avoid alcohol 'till the end. Pedal at a comfortable pace, it's not a race, keep a watchful eye on others, it's chuffin' heaving out there. Watch the terrain, change down gears in plenty of time, don't stop suddenly, keep left if walking the hills.
LISTEN TO THE MARSHALLS... every year there is at least one decent puddle of blood to splatter through.

Most of all, revel in all the thousands of people on bikes, unicycles and skates weaving their way to the coast. Fantastic!

Maybe see you there!

OP
OP
G

Gooner boy

Thanks for all the great advice!

Hello Guys,

Thank you all for the great advice, I do have to buy a new bike though (sought have done a deal to sell my old one to a mate).
The gears on mine sound a bit ropey and keep slipping when I put pressure on them.

Will take on advice about the tyres!

Thank you all again.

Catch you soon.

Gooner Boy

Milo

Guru
If you want to go the road bike route I can highly recomend a dawes giro 300.
If theres any 2007 models left you should be able to get it for about £240.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Specialized Sirrus
Halfrauds Carrera Subway

2 good zippy MTB stylee hybrids.
Can't help you on MTB's theyre the work of the devil.

Top Bottom