Help finding my first clipless shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porknz

Got my first bike this winter and have been out about a dozen times. I'm slowly picking up items to go with the bike. My most recent purchase was pedals. I had been using the free set the shop put on when I bought the bike. I am learning the sport because of a knee replacement, so I don't know when I'll have the twisting motion to unclip from clipless pedals, so I purchased some doubleshot 2's. That way I can get some new pedals and take my time. I am trying to learn cycling shoes and looking for some ideas. I want a recessed cleat, but I'm struggling a little with finding a shoe. I don't want a full on hiking shoe for mountain biking (as I'm mostly road riding on my gravel bike so far) but I do want some lugs (I like the vibram soles often). I also don't want a skate shoe, I want something that looks at least a little like a cycling shoe. Ventilation is also important. Some seem to be a solid upper that doesn't look like it would breath at all.

Thanks for any ideas.

**I guess keep it under $200 since they are my first pair.** :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My choice would be something from Northwave, Lake or Specialized but that’s because I like a roomy fit. I’m sure my Northwaves have a lot of mesh in them so are the airiest but a good look at the descriptions and photos online should give you an idea. Back off the tension on your pedals to the minimum to start if you are worried about twisting your knees too much.

OP
OP
P

Porknz

I'll look more at Northwave. I haven't heard of them or Lake, but lots of the sites I find with shoe ideas include them. I do kind of like the looks of the Specialized Rime 2.0, so I'm glad you said they are okay too. I have wide feet, so that seems helpful too. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

Porknz

Northwave actually have gravel shoes! I just keep finding road and mountain bike. I'm going to search harder for gravel shoes and see what comes up too. Thanks again.

Got my first bike this winter and have been out about a dozen times. I'm slowly picking up items to go with the bike. My most recent purchase was pedals. I had been using the free set the shop put on when I bought the bike. I am learning the sport because of a knee replacement, so I don't know when I'll have the twisting motion to unclip from clipless pedals, so I purchased some doubleshot 2's. That way I can get some new pedals and take my time. I am trying to learn cycling shoes and looking for some ideas. I want a recessed cleat, but I'm struggling a little with finding a shoe. I don't want a full on hiking shoe for mountain biking (as I'm mostly road riding on my gravel bike so far) but I do want some lugs (I like the vibram soles often). I also don't want a skate shoe, I want something that looks at least a little like a cycling shoe. Ventilation is also important. Some seem to be a solid upper that doesn't look like it would breath at all.

Thanks for any ideas.

**I guess keep it under $200 since they are my first pair.** :smile:
I've been cycling almost 40 years and can't believe that people pay for cycling shoes. I've not paid over £100 for any of mine. My longest lasting were a pair of Adidas MTB shoes that were on sale for £15.

Top Bottom