Help finding the correct frame size.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IEatSand

Hey all, i'm looking to buy a hybrid but i'm unsure of the correct size, i have been told a 17' but also a 21'. I am a 5'10 woman and have a 35.5' inseam, any advice?

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike / bikes under consideration? You can't really go by manufacturer 'sizes' as there's no standard

I'd say a 17" is a bit small being similar height but slightly shorter legs

By far the best thing is to just go and try them out, ie sit of them at the very least!

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Definitely go and have a look, size tryout and preferably a ride. As vickster has said, manufacturers measure their frames different ways, so a given size for one is different for another ( go figure - ! ) Also mind that most frames are proportioned for men :dry: who have longer upper bodies than lasses, who usually have longer legs in proportion than men, thus the reach from seatpost to handlebars will be greater on a larger frame bike. :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
The torso leg ratio is definitely more female for the OP so definitely try for size. Manufacturer height guides will give you an idea but if in between you’ll need to check

Do you have a bike that fits you ??
If you do then take all it's measurements.
Saddle height, reach, seat layback, handlebar drop, toe overlap, etc, etc.
When you go and see a new bike, take a tape measure and the measurements with you.
That way you can find out the difference between the bikes and can the new one be altered close to the old one.
Even online you may find some bikes you can rule out or may workout once you know what sizes work for you.

Luck ............ ^_^

Lovacott

Über Member
Hey all, i'm looking to buy a hybrid but i'm unsure of the correct size, i have been told a 17' but also a 21'. I am a 5'10 woman and have a 35.5' inseam, any advice?
Simple fact is, there is so much adjustment you can do with modern bikes, at your height, you could make any medium sized bike work for you.

You can raise or lower the seat or shunt it back or forth to increase or decrease the reach to the pedals or bars.

I'm a six foot bloke and my Hybrid is a 20". After a couple of weeks riding and a few tweaks of the seat position, I ended up with with the perfect bike.

No soreness, no backache, no neck crick and plenty of power on the downstroke.

A bike is not like a pair of trainers. Bikes have a fair bit of room for adjustment and those adjustments can be made easily in a few seconds using nothing more than a multi tool.

Have fun.

Fourelms

Regular
For me, stand over height was THE arbiter, then sloping top tubes came in, more because of mountain bikes raising the bottom bracket height for extra clearance over obstacles.

Now, top tube length and thereby reach is my benchmark.

I've a Scott Voltage YZ Disc, medium, should fit me at 5'8"felt great in the shop.

......great for trialing, jumps etc but, for trails and roadwork it's awful....

Reason being the top tube is just too short for me, seat right back, still not right. The cockpit is too small and nothing will change that.

My Kleins and Marins fitted me like gloves, they all had slightly longer top tubes in their day.

Try before you buy:becool:

Top Bottom