Help fixing a pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I have had this pump for several years and it used to be really good. I have been carrying it around on various mountain bike excursions and luckily never had to use it, because recently I checked and find it isn't really pumping out any pressure. I suspect that I just need to change the two 'o rings' at either end, but any advice would be welcomed. I think it is a dual action, not sure of the make though, although it possibly has a very faded Carerra branding.
1622808417856.png

Major brands such as Blackburn offer rebuild kits . Otherwise they are disposable.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Try applying grease to the plunger ends. Usually makes the seal good again restores pressure.
I had actually tried that and you can see the grease on one of the seals. I applied more to both o-rings and no difference unfortunately.
I am going to try and get replacements to see if that helps

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Has the o ring in the pump head deteriorated?
Doesn't appear to have, but there wasn't an o-ring on the other end where I think there is supposed to be one. I managed to get one on there, but it may be too small

tyred

Legendary Member
Usually you find a large rubber bung type thing on the plunger end rather than o-rings.

Maybe it just doesn't come out on the photos but I am not seeing it nor am I seeing a track to fit an o-ring on (maybe it's there and I just need to go to Specsavers!).

If you don't see it, check the seal isn't stuck at the bottom of the pump body.

gbb

Legendary Member
Lubricate the seals usually works well (already well covered)
A visual down the tube of the pump, just make sure there's no scoring or gouges (unlikely but easy to check)

Top Bottom