HELP!! Here come the God Botherers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenScoobert

Aha!

You seem to have simultaneously missed AND affirmed my point there.

If you ticked 'none', then you are a true athiest and that is fine with me. Believe (or rather, disbelieve) what you want. However my experience with some friends and colleagues, 'the internet' and some of the more publicly recognised vocal atheists is that they effectively treat Athiesm as a religion, a belief system in itself, bashing people for having beliefs that differ from their own.

Any 'belief system' that puts you in a position where WE are right and THEY are wrong, what we believe is correct and unquestionable, and that THEY are a threat and should be stopped can and will be manipulated as a tool by those who wish to gain power and that is where the problem lies. If you believe that religion is a bad thing and is responsible for bad stuff, just be sure you don't have the same mindset about your beliefs that causes it.

There are Athiests who choose to not beleive in God (ie. me) and those that try to convince religious types to be an athiest.
Just as there are Christians, Muslims, Buddhists etc etc who will try to convert you and those who won't.

Why is it you seem classify Athiests into 2 types? The "Athiests" and "none"?

Jezston

Über Member
Sorry, I thought I'd made that pretty clear.

People who tick 'none' - they don't believe in a supernatural deity. They are atheists. They aren't really interested in religion or whatever and don't really care what other people's beliefs are.

People who tick 'Atheist' - these are people who effectively treat Atheism as a religion. It is something they define themselves by, and something they define their differences with non-Atheists by, and often exhibit all the worst traits of the religious zealots they seek to differentiate themselves from.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sorry, I thought I'd made that pretty clear.

People who tick 'none' - they don't believe in a supernatural deity. They are atheists. They aren't really interested in religion or whatever and don't really care what other people's beliefs are.

People who tick 'Atheist' - these are people who effectively treat Atheism as a religion. It is something they define themselves by, and something they define their differences with non-Atheists by, and often exhibit all the worst traits of the religious zealots they seek to differentiate themselves from.

What a load of bollocks, pardon my French.

I'm an atheist. You can worship the easter bunny for all I care. Do what you like, so long as you leave me and mine alone.

Jezston

Über Member
You are misinterpreting what my 'poll' was designed to catch, although it was a bit of an obtuse way to make a point.

If you are an atheist and offered a poll asking what religion you are, you select None, right? because atheism is absence of religion.

My comments were about some atheists who act like it is a religion, with all the negatives associated with.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
It's all gravy...

People can believe (or not believe) what they want, however I object to having it rammed down my throat when I walk down the local highstreet.
Whatever you say, peoples' religious beliefs are the cause of many of the world's problems & I am much better off without them*

*IMHO

peoples' religious beliefs are the cause of many of the world's problems & I am much better off without them*

I agree completely, It's how people act on their beliefs (or use them as an excuse for hostility) that causes problems not the actual religion and as you say, you are, thankfully in theUK, at your liberty to decide what you, if anything want to believe. :smile:

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I had some knock a while ago, I had seen them coming a while before that so I went to prepare. I got undressed and smothered tomato ketchup over my body. When the finally knocked on my door I said I am in the middle of a sacrifice for our dark lord and ask if they wish to participate. All I seen was a blur scampering away at pace. It kinda bit me on the rear though as the fuzz came calling 20 minutes later. They eventually seen the funny side once I explained the situation and let them examine my house.

Slowgrind

ABSOLUTE SHOWER!!!

Davidc

Guru
I was feeling bored when some JWs called last year and I held a doorstep conversation with them for 20 minutes. I have to conceed that they disagreed with my atheist views but weren't rude once and were content to say they disagreed with me rather than that I was wrong.

It was them who asked to leave, and since then they've always left this house out when doing the road.

Top Bottom