HELP!! Here come the God Botherers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
User1314 said:
One of them was quite attractive though.

Our local ones have tried this, and I'm talking about a young lady who wouldn't have looked out of place at work or on a night out dressed in smart casuals.

A quick, short, firm and poilte response that I am not interested works every time whatever the age or gender. I once spent a bit more time one Saturday morning with a guy who had brought his young daughter out with him. He tried asking questions and I gave discussion stopping answers. Whne he asked something on the lines of "what about your children. How will they manage" which is a strange question in it's own right. I stopped myself from asking how he thought it may affect his children seeing their dad's opinions and beliefs being questioned or ignored and his attempts to convert people met with almost universal disdain or even contempt. It may have been unkind of me. He may have come out with a response which made me look like a titif I didn't already.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Mad Doug Biker said:
Anyone remember all those songs you had to sing as a kid at school but which you had absolutely no idea what they meant??
My Dad was really upset when he discovered the song wasn't about a cross-eyed bear called Gladly.

longers

Legendary Member
I got flagged down on the way home just now by someone who wanted to discuss the message he wanted to/ had been asked to share.

I did stop and said I couldn't stay and chat but think they must be getting desperate if they're resorting to moving targets.

taxing

I feel a bit sorry for them, they genuinely believe that all of us need to be saved and it's their duty to do it. Instead of watching the telly or whatever JWs do with themselves they feel obliged to go out in all weathers just to save our miserable little souls.

I don't like Mormons though. I was once walking under a bridge alone in the dark and two men in black coats came up to me. Shiiiiiiiiit, I'm thinking. I'm a goner. 'Hello, could we talk to you for a minute?' 'Er...' 'It's about the Lord.' I've never been so relieved in all my life.

Arch

Married to Night Train
What were your interpretations of things??

Not me, but my Mum - she thought the line in To be a Pilgrim was "his first vow in a tent." She'd seen a painting of the Field of the Cloth of Gold, so she reckoned that's what the tents would look like - all gold and red stripes and pennants.

Mormons are useful BTW - they believe that they can 'convert' their ancestors, so they are all required to do family history research, and do a lot of work transcribing parish records and so on. And they happily share the info with anyone trying to trace their family tree.

We had a couple move in next to us in Ireland. Soon after, there was a knock on the door and my Dad said "Here we do", and opened it, and the very polite American guy asked "Do you have a cheesegrater we coud borrow?"

longers

Legendary Member
There's lots and lots of Mormons doing the rounds round here lately, don't know why this area though. I rode past their big church near Chorley last year and went into the grounds for a look see, I ummed and ahhed about going to ask for a nosey inside but bottled it. Should do it one day.

Here's the outside, it's been a landmark all my life as I've passed it on the M61 since forever.

143qg6c.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Are they the Latter Day Saints?
If so, they have a massive property down this way too. Plenty of money in religion!

tvyytqvmbnejdzak_Templeportrait-Mtvyytqvmbnejdzak.jpg

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
+1 for the polite approach.

I get visited by them about every couple of months, I always say a polite 'No thanks' and off they go. One of these days they'll visit when I'm in the middle of my quarterly accounts and I'll invite them in for a chat. :laugh:

longers

Legendary Member
Great photo Mr P. Yours?

Do you think they have a template?

Someone told me there's a life size bull made of gold* in the Chorley one but a chap all dressed in white put me off going in. I'll be brave next time.

* or a goldie looking bull at least.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Answer the door naked or at the most in your underpants and ask whoever is there (irrespective of their sex) if they'd like to join you in bed. As they usually knock in twos the last two words of your request could be "... for a threesome".

PBancroft

We used to get a knock on the door from the JWs once every now and then... until about two years ago when I started working with a JW lad who lives down the road. Nice guy, and we never once talked about religion. Since then we've not had a single visit.

Make of that what you will.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Great photo Mr P. Yours?

Do you think they have a template?

Someone told me there's a life size bull made of gold* in the Chorley one but a chap all dressed in white put me off going in. I'll be brave next time.

* or a goldie looking bull at least.

No not mine Longers. They definitely use the same architect and I don't mean the Great Architect in the Heavens!

I'd be too scared to go in on my own in case I got brainwashed and whisked off to a commune where I was forced to spend weeks with nubile young maidens.

No sects please I'm British!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I agree that theres no need to be aggressive but they are far from harmless. Dont get into any conversation with them,they have heard all the clever answers before and will be able to talk you into a corner.

A friend of mine lost his wife and children to them some years ago.Its the children I feel sorry for.

I have asked them to not knock on our door and it has worked. I have been told they kleep a list of those who have requested no visits and they seem to use it.

Top Bottom