Help - I need to lose weight, fast!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Bread.

Fluff made from pulverised grass seeds.

Tip.
If you like fish like tuna and meats in a sandwich, try wrapping the filling in a lettuce leaf.

Try a bacon and egg 'leafy'.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
tundragumski said:
Jumped on the bathroom scales today (day 3) and it appears that I've lost 2 lbs in 3 days!

What a result!

I'll weigh-in again after 7 days and a decent long (65 miles) bike ride this weekend. At this rate I'll make 1/2 stone in 2 weeks - brilliant :laugh:

Well done! and.....

Same here :sad: but at first I thought it was just my scales were old and wonky.:laugh:

I sort of started getting in the right frame of mind last week, with home made soup (with linseeds in it that needed using up). I could put them on my porridge.

Lunch today was carrot batons, and a small portion of tuna.
Next is to cut down portions a bit, and get some exercise.

I do not like lettuce, but might get some chinese leaves, as they are crisper, and keep longer. Is there any benefit in cucumber, or is it 99% water?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Not much fibre in a leafy;), however the op is how to lose weight so health of the colon is not the question to be answered. Seriously though you need fibre in your diet to avoid colonic cancer and a raft of other complaints. I don't beleive this is media hype. It may not be a problem to be on a short term low carb diet and you will lose weight however you need to resolve the underlying problems that have caused the weight gain in the first place. This maybe overeating or poor diet as mentioned by others in previous posts.
I lost about three stone by eating a healthy balanced diet watching my fat and calorie intake and two years on I have not put it back on. My cycling/exercise tends to tone muscle and lose fat and I have a stable weight with which I am happy.

jimboalee

Hacienda71 said:
Not much fibre in a leafy;), however the op is how to lose weight so health of the colon is not the question to be answered. Seriously though you need fibre in your diet to avoid colonic cancer and a raft of other complaints. I don't beleive this is media hype. It may not be a problem to be on a short term low carb diet and you will lose weight however you need to resolve the underlying problems that have caused the weight gain in the first place. This maybe overeating or poor diet as mentioned by others in previous posts.
I lost about three stone by eating a healthy balanced diet watching my fat and calorie intake and two years on I have not put it back on. My cycling/exercise tends to tone muscle and lose fat and I have a stable weight with which I am happy.

Everyone knows folivores are the fartiest, shoot squirting animals on the planet.

After all, the long green parts of the grass plant are its leaves, and them there cows have been blamed unashamedly for the CH4 and H2S gas concentrations in our atmosphere.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I can see that in the short term cutting out bread from what I eat, may help me loose weight. The health benefits from losing weight would be greater than the short term damage from less fibre.

Fibre is not just present in wheat tho is it? My jumbo organic oats IIRC contain fibre. Is it present in some vegetables? Not sure on this, someone will no doubt be able to tell me.

I enjoy chilli con carne and could add beans to that for fibre.

As I mentionned earlier in the thread, as I understand it, smoothies may taste nice, but then you lose fibre and vitamins that would have been present in the whole fruit. If I eat apples, I slice them, but leave the skin on.

I am already feeling slightly more energetic during the day, and less tired in the evening. ;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You get fibre from all sorts of fruit and veg. Wholemeal foods are good and the skins on fruit and veg liked baked potatoes are good as well. I love oats they are great for lowering cholesterol as well.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
4 lbs off in less than a week - this is great!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
My scales cannot decide if I have stayed the same ;), lost two pounds :troll:, or lost half a stone :tongue::troll:. Is the bathroom floor to blame? or do I need new scales?

Well done, Tundragumski, an excellent start. :rolleyes:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well done Tundragumski. I also need to lose weight, just back from a holiday in Wales, jumped on the scales and quickly jumped off them. I remember doing the Atkins diet, I ended up with a kidney stone and short term weight loss.

Today I have decided to start with cutting out bread and spuds. I was 14st 6lb this morning and am 5'11'' I need to lose 1 1/2 st. I have found this thread to be encouraging, so I'm up for it. Only thing I'm worried about is how to quell the hunger pangs without bread. I might pop over to the Isle of Wight to cycle around it for a day but was wondering what I'll use for fuel, it's usually, biscuits, energy bar or stop for a sandwich.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well done Tundragumski. I also need to lose weight, just back from a holiday in Wales, jumped on the scales and quickly jumped off them. I remember doing the Atkins diet, I ended up with a kidney stone and short term weight loss.

Today I have decided to start with cutting out bread and spuds. I was 14st 6lb this morning and am 5'11'' I need to lose 1 1/2 st. I have found this thread to be encouraging, so I'm up for it. Only thing I'm worried about is how to quell the hunger pangs without bread. I might pop over to the Isle of Wight to cycle around it for a day but was wondering what I'll use for fuel, it's usually, biscuits, energy bar or stop for a sandwich.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I just cycled 80 miles and I can say that a low carb diet does not go well with such rides! Felt like I bonked after 5 miles.

Combined with the windy weather it turned out to be one of the toughest rides ever - only managed to average 15mph and felt absolutely terrible for most of the ride.

Might need to re-think my strategy.

(I'm now over half stone lighter than 6 days ago - is that healthy? some of which is probably de-hydration after the ride)

Crankarm

Guru
Speicher said:
I think you would be most likely to make more progress than I am.
My exercise levels are currently zero, for lots of different reasons. :wacko:
It would be good on here to share tips, and advice from others.

So far I have cut out bread and cheese, changed from full fat milk in coffee to semi-skimmed, and from semi-skimmed in porridge to skimmed milk. Late night munchy attacks are dealt with by raisins and skimmed milk. I now use whole grain rice instead of white, and have eliminated crisps completely. All these changes are sunstainable, I hope.

Probably next is to exercise more.

Indeed that is the key.

Look the best way to lose weight is to cut out all the sh1t like crisps, pizza, ready meals, sandwiches bought at Pret a Manger or Subway, sugary drinks, processed cheese, cakes, buns and choclit. Then to eat a healthy balanced diet with stuff called fruit, vegetables and salad, don't cut out spuds or treats just REDUCE your portion size. Drink water if you feel the urge to trough and do lots of exercise. Try to eat a proper lunch at lunch time. Don't eat after 7pm so you go to sleep with a belly full of undigested food especially with rubbish such as pizza, chips, processed burger or take aways inside you. Go running in the evening, once home, have a shower, a good drink of water, wind down and go to bed at a reasonable hour so you get a full 8 hours rest. Then do it all again tomorrow. Eat more at breakfast than at the end of the day as your body will burn it off as it needs the energy to function during the day.

The safest amount of weight the average person can lose each week and remain healthy is 4-5 lbs / 2 - 2.5 kg. Don't confuse weight loss with being dehyrdated. So over a month 15 - 20 lbs / 8 - 10 kg - quite a lot if you are disciplined and don't cheat yourself.

Crankarm

Guru
tundragumski said:
I just cycled 80 miles and I can say that a low carb diet does not go well with such rides! Felt like I bonked after 5 miles.

Combined with the windy weather it turned out to be one of the toughest rides ever - only managed to average 15mph and felt absolutely terrible for most of the ride.

Might need to re-think my strategy.

(I'm now over half stone lighter than 6 days ago - is that healthy? some of which is probably de-hydration after the ride)

See my post above. You should be eating a normal balanced diet of ALL food groups just control your portions and drink plenty. Cutting out one particular food group in preference for another is not sensible unless you are a professional athlete with a nutritionist, coach and doctor to supervise you. If you are doing an 80 mile ride you need to eat properly the day before and do not let yourself get dehydrated. Bananas and other dried fruits are good on the morning and during your ride plus obviously water.

But well done for surviving it.

You would also do well to do some stretching and massage of your tired leg muscles.

Top Bottom