Help! I need to work out when I'm going to croak.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm 72 and according to two of them I've got either 6 or 8 years left. The third gives me till I'm 90 so I'll stick with that one.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
30 years left, will be 5 years older than my Father when I go. Makes sense, he survived a lot in his life, including WWII as a combat infantryman, heart attack, cancer, undiagnosed gout, driving in the States before drivers' licenses, padded dashes, seatbelts, safety glass, flight lessons in the 1930's.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've finally started looking at my finances, a subject I that put off at every opportunity. It seems I've got to get some kind of idea about when I'm going to die in order to cheat the likes of @srw and the annuity club out of their fat fees.

Are there any online tools for this?

Thank you.
In the vague hope that you're after some sensible comments, and not just an opportunity to be, to coin a phrase, "mean-spirited" I'll have a go. All you need to know about your question is contained in the output from the Aviva calculator you link to:
upload_2019-5-11_14-17-43.png

You will die sometime between today and your 110th birthday, unless you are one of a tiny handful of people who turn out to live longer. You are likeliest to die sometime between the ages of 75 and 100. There are things you can do to make it likelier that you die earlier, and things you can do to make it likelier that you die later, most of which are extremely obvious, and some of which are outside of your control. But unless you take the active decision to end your own life, you cannot know how long you are going to live.

The fact that the projection toys linked in the thread give different answers isn't surprising - the future is inherently uncertain, and some of the toys are extremely dubious. And if one of them told you you were already dead you probably put in the wrong data. Between them they told me I'd live to 60, 70, 89 or 92. Some of them didn't even ask me which country I lived in, which is a major influence on life expectation.

Most of us reading this will have up to three stages of future life - a period when we can work and do (obviously the retired can ignore that bit), a period when we could work but choose not to, and a period when we can't work. It's that last stage that will be, by far, the most expensive, and most of us had better hope that the NHS and the rest of the welfare state is still in a shape to pay for it when we reach it.

If you want to minimise the risk of running out of money before you die, either make sure you have access to far more than you ever think you're going to need, or pass the risk on to someone else by getting some sort of lifetime guaranteed income. Insurance works by pooling risk - once you've got enough individuals you can begin to predict the proportion of them who will live to any given age.

(Just for the record, the commercial firm I used to work for didn't write annuities, and the annuity provider I currently work for is a non-profit and doesn't sell anything, and I've never earned a fat fee for anything, although I do earn a very good salary.)

In the vague hope that you're after some sensible comments, and not just an opportunity to be, to coin a phrase, "mean-spirited" I'll have a go. All you need to know about your question is contained in the output from the Aviva calculator you link to:
View attachment 466015

You will die sometime between today and your 110th birthday, unless you are one of a tiny handful of people who turn out to live longer. You are likeliest to die sometime between the ages of 75 and 100. There are things you can do to make it likelier that you die earlier, and things you can do to make it likelier that you die later, most of which are extremely obvious, and some of which are outside of your control. But unless you take the active decision to end your own life, you cannot know how long you are going to live.

The fact that the projection toys linked in the thread give different answers isn't surprising - the future is inherently uncertain, and some of the toys are extremely dubious. And if one of them told you you were already dead you probably put in the wrong data. Between them they told me I'd live to 60, 70, 89 or 92. Some of them didn't even ask me which country I lived in, which is a major influence on life expectation.

Most of us reading this will have up to three stages of future life - a period when we can work and do (obviously the retired can ignore that bit), a period when we could work but choose not to, and a period when we can't work. It's that last stage that will be, by far, the most expensive, and most of us had better hope that the NHS and the rest of the welfare state is still in a shape to pay for it when we reach it.

If you want to minimise the risk of running out of money before you die, either make sure you have access to far more than you ever think you're going to need, or pass the risk on to someone else by getting some sort of lifetime guaranteed income. Insurance works by pooling risk - once you've got enough individuals you can begin to predict the proportion of them who will live to any given age.

(Just for the record, the commercial firm I used to work for didn't write annuities, and the annuity provider I currently work for is a non-profit and doesn't sell anything, and I've never earned a fat fee for anything, although I do earn a very good salary.)

Phew! Thank God for that. I was wondering whether it was worth starting to read any long books.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Dearest @slomotion you will never die, you are immortal, who else would keep this site going in the early hours apart from @classic. xx

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Dearest @slomotion you will never die, you are immortal, who else would keep this site going in the early hours apart from @classic. xx
Thank you for your post. I'm blushing. The irony is that, having been flippant about mortality last week, I've just got home after spending two nights in Hammersmith Hospital's Heart Attack Centre. I'm feeling absolutely fine but I have a stack of extra pills to take.

This should increase my annuity splendidly!

lane

Veteran
OK just carried out some sensitivity analysis and I will live an extra 10 years if:

i stop having a job where I sit down
Stop drinking tea
Cut out 1 takeaway a week

Ten more years would br an extra 50% on my remaining life span be ause it was only 75 which seems a bit low. Other calculator gave me 89 which seems a bit more like it.

Thank you for your post. I'm blushing. The irony is that, having been flippant about mortality last week, I've just got home after spending two nights in Hammersmith Hospital's Heart Attack Centre. I'm feeling absolutely fine but I have a stack of extra pills to take.

This should increase my annuity splendidly!
Blimey slomo, take it easy will ya. Your singlehandedly eating up all the NHS resources!

I reckon you should stop exerting yourself putting half the world in your loft.

Top Bottom