Help identify a 1940s British frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Only two of those numbers on the bottom bracket have been struck using the same set of dies. The "8"(which is upside down) and the last "5". The rest don't match.
Yes, it's as if the "83" was stamped in advance and then the 83/595 was added later. 595 seems to be a serial number (the fork only carries 595) but goodness knows what the 83 means - could be a date or an individual worker. it might have been modified (LH shifter boss) and refinished in 1983 but I'd go nuts if someone stamped my vintage frame!

Rumour has it that some of EC's early frames were knocked up by other established builders and just carried his name. Frame numbering is very inonsistent, judging from examples on the web.

classic33

Leg End Member
I know if I was getting work done to the frame, I'd have the frame repainted at the same time. You've mentioned Ellis Briggs. I've had work on frames done by them, and one respray.

The paintwork doesn't match their quality of the mid eighties. Tempted once or twice, but working where I could have the frame cleaned & painted, for nothing, meant I chose the cheaper option.

I'd rule out the builder/worker number. They'd have their own set of dies. Pass the frame onto someone else, how would they have access to the other persons tools(no chance of borrowing them) or know who built it.

Any numbers/marks on the inside of the rear forks?

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Ha! There's a crumple in the top tube, discovered today when I was giving it a final check before sending for paint. Skip-bound now, of course, and that's £50 wasted. The powdercoat is quite thick and rippled but this is definitely a crumple - I've had a straight edge on it and it's obvious then.

Replacing the TT would cost £120 - a similar frame is less than half that.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ha! There's a crumple in the top tube, discovered today when I was giving it a final check before sending for paint. Skip-bound now, of course, and that's £50 wasted. The powdercoat is quite thick and rippled but this is definitely a crumple - I've had a straight edge on it and it's obvious then.

oh dear what a shame , last time i spoke to Lee Cooper re replacing a tube he was quoting a bit less than that

classic33

Leg End Member

What about checking for any other markings. They might come in useful at a later date.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's not worth much with a damaged tube, if it is damaged - might just be a run in the powdercoat but I don't want to pay to have it blasted to find out. Having said that, someone thought it was good enough to repaint "as is" last time so it may be nothing. A good Clements is worth about £75-100.

Found what I think is a Dawes Mirage frame (531DB) for a decent price though, as a replacement. It was described as a race frame so it had better not be a Super Galaxy when it turns up...they look similar once the decals have fallen off and they were both green, with a rear centre-pull brake hanger.

EDIT: it doesn't have chromed stays. This is a good sign that it's probably not a Galaxy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom