help identify please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeffhop21

image.jpeg

Citius

Definitely a bicycle of some sort. Maybe upload some detail pics which might help with ID?

OP
OP
Jeffhop21

Jeffhop21

Flip it upside down and see if there are any numbers stamped into the bb housing.
That's the problem. The number is 1292. It has nervex pro lug , campag strada crank and rings campag rear derailleur, campag seat post GB tour of Britain bars and GB Stem

OP
OP
Jeffhop21

Jeffhop21

Definitely a bicycle of some sort. Maybe upload some detail pics which might help with ID?
It's got nervex pro lugs campag strada crank campag derailleur campag seat post and hubs. The bars and stem are GB the brakes are GB courier 66 centre pulls and there is a number stamped on the BB 1292

steve50

Disenchanted Member
This any help?

Bicycles from Japan will have serial numbers located on the left, rear axle hanger, on the bottom bracket shell or on the lower section of the headlug. The number will have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples: J677123 = September, 1976.

Beginning in the 1970s, many Schwinns feature a 4-digit stamp on the head badge that represents the assembly date and consists of the Julian day and the last digit of the year (1246 decodes to the 124th day of 1976 or 1986 -- use decals and components to determine the decade). The Julian dating was adopted for Schwinn's domestic production in 1976. (See the 4-digit date code next to the "I"?) ImageFetch.ashx?picNum=2&Size=0&ImageID=467.jpg
2779 = 277th day of 1979 or 1989
http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

OP
OP
Jeffhop21

Jeffhop21

This any help?

Bicycles from Japan will have serial numbers located on the left, rear axle hanger, on the bottom bracket shell or on the lower section of the headlug. The number will have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples: J677123 = September, 1976.

Beginning in the 1970s, many Schwinns feature a 4-digit stamp on the head badge that represents the assembly date and consists of the Julian day and the last digit of the year (1246 decodes to the 124th day of 1976 or 1986 -- use decals and components to determine the decade). The Julian dating was adopted for Schwinn's domestic production in 1976. (See the 4-digit date code next to the "I"?) ImageFetch.ashx?picNum=2&Size=0&ImageID=467.jpg
2779 = 277th day of 1979 or 1989
http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx
Thank you for that but this is definitely a 1950s to early sixties high end bike

OP
OP
Jeffhop21

Jeffhop21

Could be Jim Soens racer. with Nervex Pro lugs, fluted stays, mudguard clearance and eyes.
Right era , chain wheel, frame and forks look to very close match. View attachment 107725
Looks right how did they mark there frames ? (Frame numbers). This is the problem I thought it would be so easy tracing the number lol at first I thought it was a Mercian or hetchins but no numbers stamped on fork tube only a peice of paper with the same number as on BB. I've dated it to 50s/60s from the components the strada crank is a series one with no date stamp only made from 58-61 the GB brakes are of the same time frame. The nervex lugs are very early type with the horns on the head tube

midlife

Guru
Before I started at Cliff Pratt Cycles in the 70's they used to buy in frames in the 60's from a variety of sources and transfer (decal was not a word we used, airfix kits had decals) them up as their own plus put a stamp on the BB.

Unless there is something unique then that's where it sits. Not denegrading the frame as we used to buy unstamped and blank frames from Hetchins...

Shaun

Top Bottom