help identify please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jeffhop21

Jeffhop21

image.jpeg

steve50

Disenchanted Member
If you google nervex it would appear there are a lot of frames very similar to yours out there that remain unidentified.

OP
OP
Jeffhop21

Jeffhop21

Before I started at Cliff Pratt Cycles in the 70's they used to buy in frames in the 60's from a variety of sources and transfer (decal was not a word we used, airfix kits had decals) them up as their own plus put a stamp on the BB.

Unless there is something unique then that's where it sits. Not denegrading the frame as we used to buy unstamped and blank frames from Hetchins...

Shaun
Did they fit campagnola components to these frames ?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Before I started at Cliff Pratt Cycles in the 70's they used to buy in frames in the 60's from a variety of sources and transfer (decal was not a word we used, airfix kits had decals) them up as their own plus put a stamp on the BB.

Unless there is something unique then that's where it sits. Not denegrading the frame as we used to buy unstamped and blank frames from Hetchins...

Shaun

as @midlife says and this is still the case today

Citius

It's a frame of reasonable quality and the lug work is good, but without provenance you will probably never ID it. The paintwork doesn't look original though, so unless there are any decals left underneath, it will probably remain a mystery.

midlife

Guru

The frame in the pic may well have been made in the shop, back when I worked there if you ventured through a small door under the stairs there was a cellar, in the 70's it stored bikes awaiting PDI or for the Xmas rush!

Blimey the memory is a bit flakey but imagine walking down stairs into a cellar about the size of half a tennis court. On the left there is an alcove which is full of spray paint on the walls and the associated kit, on the right there are benches with tools / files and a big flat metal table set out with the clamps to braze frames. To the left of that there are racks holding tubes, lugs, bottom bracket shells and all the paraphernalia to make frames.

All looking like the Marie Celeste as if Cliff had decided to close the frame building side of things and buy them in....

Shaun

wow I've done it and it's so frustrating
I take it that you will be restoring it and you won't mind damaging that wonderful paint finish. You could put some cellulose thinners on a wrag , I mean wet it and then try rubbing it on the frame. If colour comes off on the wrag it means that the thinners are working. If it does you can then try in the most likely places where they might have put transfers. Don't try paint stripper as it will remove everything, destroying anything which may be hiding underneath that paint.
As the paint has been on a number of years it will be a slow process.

OP
OP
Jeffhop21

Jeffhop21

The frame in the pic may well have been made in the shop, back when I worked there if you ventured through a small door under the stairs there was a cellar, in the 70's it stored bikes awaiting PDI or for the Xmas rush!

Blimey the memory is a bit flakey but imagine walking down stairs into a cellar about the size of half a tennis court. On the left there is an alcove which is full of spray paint on the walls and the associated kit, on the right there are benches with tools / files and a big flat metal table set out with the clamps to braze frames. To the left of that there are racks holding tubes, lugs, bottom bracket shells and all the paraphernalia to make frames.

All looking like the Marie Celeste as if Cliff had decided to close the frame building side of things and buy them in....

Shaun
Wow would loved to have seen that

Sustineo

Regular
Hello All,
I would like some help please if anyone can, with a Triumph/Raleigh bike Ive just bought.

Its a 3 Gear Sturmey Archer AW with the year and month of 75 7. The thing is it has Rod brakes, were they still used in 1975?
and also on the BB is the frame number....SH 24 1XT 39..Ive tried looking it up but not having any joy about seeing if it matches with the 1975 hub etc

Is there anywhere on the intraweb where I can find the original specs for this bike as im not sure if its missing a headset bracket of some sort where the brake rods go through.

Thanks in advance for ANY! help 001.JPG 009.JPG 008.JPG

Top Bottom