Help identifying a frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem with trying to identify them by their lugs or fork crowns is that they're off the shelf products which were used by loads of builders; each builder might file them down a bit or clean them up slightly differently, but a nervex pro is a nervex pro

I was given some old Veteran Cycle Club magazines yesterday No 334 Dec 2009/Jan 2010 to be precise. On page 35 a reader has posted two images of his Hercules for identification.
"Elegant,rapid taper seat and chain stays, Nervex Professional lugs and Simplex ends.". " The frame number is marked on the bottom bracket and twice on the steerer tube."
The seral number is a four figure number, there is also a different number on the seat tube cluster. The rear brake bridge is curved.
The reader bought the bike second hand in 1962 so it could possibly from the 50's.
I read somewhere else that Holdsworth were using four figure numbers in the 40's.
So along with Holdsworth and Claud Butler, Hercules could be a possibility.

Last edited:
I found this thread on www.retrobike.co.uk where it says that early Holdsworth era Clauds used 4 figure serial numbers
I've come across this thread recently too (I'm not just looking for your bike, I'm selflessly trying to find my own as well :smile: ) but hadn't spotted the significance of the frame number. I'm beginning to think that my frame might be a Cordon Bleu too, problem is they made it for so many years (about eleven I think) that it changed gradually so an early one might have semi-wrapover seat stays while the later ones probably didn't. Notice I keep writing "probably" and "might" cos I'm still not sure. I looked at the bike in the retrobike thread and thought "my saddle's the same as that one" - and then realised that if it's a Cordon Bleu then it's a frameset not a fully-built bike :blush:

Top Bottom