Help identifying a frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

garyfarrar

Thanks, maybe I'll give that a try.

I had a look on Google at images of Holdsworth cycles, it seems that you can find lugs with bits that are similar and then they go OTT with the rest of the design. Finding an exact match is a bit elusive, I even looked up Freddie Grubb but then the hole centres are much smaller.

Try and see if I can match it to something on the old C.B or Holdsworth catalogues. Not sure I have the patience though.
Hi take a look at this picture I took at Coventry Museum of Transport. Is there any similarity with yours
Coventry Museum of ransport 015.JPG

OP
OP
G

garyfarrar

It was just a thought. The head tube lugs seemed to ring a bell. Your fork crowns do look a bit like my Holdsworth's.
Visually it does very much look Holdsworth or Claud Butler but its the frame number that's the problem with at. I think Holdsworth frame numbers were sequential and a four fiqure number would be much earlier than that frame looks. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!) . When I was at L'eroica with it last year somebody thought it may be a Viking but it seems they had 6 figure frame numbers. I'll a have a look at Hercules, thanks.

classic33

Leg End Member
25 inch frame, did it come via Leeds?
And is there any sign it may once have been painted matt black?

I think Holdsworth frame numbers were sequential and a four fiqure number would be much earlier than that frame looks. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!)
You're wrong. ;)
Have you found this old thread on Bike Forums? I've looked at it several times but don't think I could've read to the end til last night! It seems there were all sorts of numbers floating around so it's not inconceivable that either a Holdsworth or a Claud might have a four figure SN.
Good to hear you got a reply from Ellis Briggs.

I've had an email back from Ellis Briggs and it's not one of theirs. The chap there also guessed at Holdsworth or Claud Butler.
I've been out in my garage checking my frames. I thought that your fork crowns resembled my Holdsworth Records but I was wrong instead they look more like the forks found on my 1966/7 BSA. I have included a picture of my brother's Monsoon which has a 5 digit serial number. Is your serial number all numerals or does it have any letters.

Attachments

• monsoon 1701.JPG
    monsoon 1701.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 50
  • monsoon 1702.JPG
    monsoon 1702.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 50
  • monsoon 1705.JPG
    monsoon 1705.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 54
Hi, I've done some more trawling. I have had a closer look at a picture of Eileen Sheridan's 1954 Hercules Maestro at Coventry Museum of Transport. I have tried to blow up the image and adjust the brightness hopefully you may be able to see the head lugs are very similar. I was wondering if the similarity with the BSA forks and the head lugs with the Hercules if they shared a common ancestry, I think both companies were swallowed up by Raleigh.
Coventry Museum of ransport 018.JPG

Top Bottom