Help identifying a Mercian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrismith

Hello all. Wonder if I could dig into your collective knowledge of vintage bikes with a find from today - a Mercian. In pretty good nic.
I know that you can pay £20 for some info from Mercian themselves, but am hoping for some info here - got some nice pics to share too!
20200829_165946.jpg

What I know:
Last two digits of serial number on BB are 74 do am guessing its 1974.
Paintwork is still pretty good and looks original
Mostly Campag throughout; front and rear derailler, cranks, pedals, headset, seatpost , shifters, hubs
Mafac brake levers, weinmann rear brake, unknown front brake
2 x 6 speed
27" wheels with QR, Mavic rims
Cinelli stem and bars
Nice suede/leather? saddle

What I don't know:
Model name
Steel used. Looks like there was a (reynolds? 531?) sticker on seat tube
Would it have had campag brakes? Worth shelling out on them?
Seatpost looks funky, haven't seen one like that before

I'm planning a light restoration on her. I think she will look fab.

Any help most appreciated!

20200829_165954.jpg

20200829_170008.jpg

20200829_180628.jpg

20200829_180639.jpg

20200829_180743.jpg

20200829_180704.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice. Despite having owned one I’m no Mercian expert but I’d say that could be a good up to ten years earlier than ‘74. You can contact Mercian and they should be able to give you a date. Bit of a racing blade with those frame angles and drilled chainrings. Almost certainly 531. Those are clinchers I guess.
You won’t know what it originally came with as the components would have been specified by the customer so maybe as supplied. Mafac levers are a bit odd with side pulls.

OP
OP
H

Harrismith

Ah great. Thanks both
Front brake is a universal Super 68 which is quite prized apparently. Shame doesn't match the rear.
It is light, 531 would make sense

OP
OP
H

Harrismith

Ah ok so '74 makes sense.
I will weigh her tomorrow and let you know. I guess about 10kg

OP
OP
H

Harrismith

Haha probably.

Lug work definitely looks like the Superlight model, but I can't find any pics of a Mercian with the decals matching mine. The seat tube ones look different to the plain MERCIAN I have.

midlife

Guru
It's a Superlight, the lugs are a dead giveaway. They specially cut them for the Superlight and no other model.

I'm jealous as I always wanted one :smile:

Its been refinished as the top tube cable guides don't look original, the Decals are probably just what we're available at the time from H Lloyd etc.

Not looked at Mercian website for a while and not sure if you can still order one

Haha probably.

Lug work definitely looks like the Superlight model, but I can't find any pics of a Mercian with the decals matching mine. The seat tube ones look different to the plain MERCIAN I have.
In what way are the decals different ? They look like the standard Mercian Gothic to me. Do you mean the way they are placed ?

Top Bottom