Help Identifying this Peugeot Classic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

katonda

Regular
Hi,

I bought this 650B bike second hand last year. I've since replaced the tires, chain, cables and saddle. I removed the dynamo and replaced it with a 5 mAh powerbank, by soldering the USB-A cable from an old mouse to the existing cables and replacing the filament bulbs with LEDs. I did this because I wanted to keep the same lights and cables for aesthetic as well as financial reasons. I also added the little saddlebag which holds the powerbank. I was hoping you might be able to help me identify the model. I emailed the original seller (a shop in southern France), but never received a response.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can’t see much from the poor photos I’m afraid but I can see what I think is a HLE sticker which was their base steel tubing. It’s a single speed town bike which is more popular in Europe than in the UK. Peugeot often don’t give any model name to their mass produced models so you may never know. Perhaps try to find some catalogs on line. Looks very serviceable so I should just enjoy it.
Your light conversion might be worth sharing in more detail in a separate thread.

OP
OP
K

katonda

Regular
Thanks for all the replies!

There's a plethora of old Peugeot catalogues available to trawl through HERE, might take some time though.

IIRC @biggs682 might have some info on identifying old Pugs as well.

Apologies up front biggs if I've got my wires crossed.

I had a look through the brochures @smokeysmoo, but couldn't find a match.

Can’t see much from the poor photos I’m afraid but I can see what I think is a HLE sticker which was their base steel tubing. It’s a single speed town bike which is more popular in Europe than in the UK. Peugeot often don’t give any model name to their mass produced models so you may never know. Perhaps try to find some catalogs on line. Looks very serviceable so I should just enjoy it.

Here are some more pictures. IT does say HLE @Cycleops and nothing about the frame construction screams luxury. I don't think it's that old since it has a barcode. However, I can't rule out it's a barcode from a second sale. Either way, I doubt it's older than something made in the 80s, probably a bike made in the 90s.

I think the codes read: CL100 (The 'C' is cut off - could be another letter and there could be more before it), 3FR54VF (model number?) and 510099907048 (which is just the barcode in numerical form). None of those result in meaningful results when googled.

Your light conversion might be worth sharing in more detail in a separate thread.
Agree with Cycleops, the lights conversion would be good to see in it's own thread.

I will do this and once complete, will update this thread with a link. It's a simple and cheap conversion that most people should be able to do with nothing but some outdated electronics, a box cutter and some electric tape. There are also multiple ways to do it, I just did what worked with what I had.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm going with the mid 80's at the oldest, perhaps a touch later, which makes it the last gasp for this style of bike as a widespread tool, at least outside of continental europe.

I had a look through the brochures @smokeysmoo, but couldn't find a match.

Send Peugeot an EMAIL, you never know they might be interested to see it and may be able to help you, nothing lost in giving it a go, after all they've built bicycles for longer than they've built motorised vehicles, but not for as long as kitchen utensils oddly :laugh:

Top Bottom