Help ID'ing a vintage bike, for Peugeot cognoscenti... I think!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nimchimpsky82

Über Member
About 12 years ago I bought a flat handlebar fixie on eBay. It had been resprayed, stripped of all its decals etc. and had lots of probably unoriginal components, except perhaps for the front rim (Mavic CXP 33). The seller wasn't able to tell what manufacturer or frame it was. I got it because the size and price were right and because it was always just going to be a beater/training bike.

A few months ago I decided to upgrade it to drop bars, a better saddle and seatpost, Tannus airless tyres and most importantly (from the point of view of my knees :smile:) a freewheel. Oh, and brakes ha. It still is very much my beater bike, as you can tell from how filthy I allow it to get :laugh:, but it's a lot nicer now. Perhaps as a result I have started to wonder what it might be, underneath the custom paint job.

Based on especially the 24mm diameter of the seatpost I suspect the bike is a Peugeot, based on the internal brake cable routing I am inclined to think late 80s. I've looked at some old brochures on bikeboompeugeot but the resolution makes it quite hard to see details like mudguard braze-ons, gear cable braze-on, tube joints (clearly lugless on my bike, which makes me wonder whether the frame might be Carbolite 103), the recess in the chainstay, and so on.

I'll be very grateful for any suggestions!

6PX9lJTQ_o.jpg 0kDk9XXV_o.jpg OJvVhZty_o.jpg VjZyI4Lo_o.jpg PxfYQ8Yq_o.jpg 3PCaxeXf_o.jpg O1Fn5hCm_o.jpg EZyd1IG3_o.jpg T2GGniTR_o.jpg yW5OKWG8_o.jpg kaGj3zHR_o.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No frame number on underside of bottom bracket ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Carbolite 103 was used AFAIK only on their 'entry level' models. They were quite light as there were no lugs and quite a bit lighter than their proprietary steel lugged frames.
It's probably a Première which was produced in thousands but this tubing may have been used on other models. Certainly eighties. Maybe someone else could add some further information.
1615840245325.png

Edit; model # is PH10L

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nimchimpsky82

Über Member
Thanks all, very helpful.

Biggs682, nothing on the BB; see below. I don't know whether that corroborates the PH10L theory or doesn't help either way?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They produced them in such high numbers they maybe didn’t feel it was wort putting on a serial number.
I can remember in the eighties if you went into just about any major bike retailer he would have a selection at a good price. There was also a step through frame version called the Premierelle.

Top Bottom