Help - I'm after a road bike with full mudguards & pannier rack for light touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich05uk

Hi,

Hope to get some advice please. I’m after a road bike which can be fitted with full mudguards & pannier rack for light touring. I’m going to be using it as a commuting bike to work during the week (about 50 miles round trip) and then the odd weekend I’ll be doing some 100+ mile rides. My budget is £1200.

I’ve looked at Trek but they don’t seem to make anything with drop bars which also have the necessary mounts for mudguards and rack. So, I’m currently looking at the Specialized Tricross Comp, it seems to tick all the right boxes although I have seen some bad reports about the Cantilever breaks being useless and the front forks juddering. I believe Specialized will change them for V breaks free of charge, but reports suggest they aren’t much better.

Can anyone tell me if the Specialized Tricross Comp is any good or at least suggest some equivalent alternatives, any road going bike will do so long as it has drop bars and can be fitted with mudguards and rack.

Either way, I’m off to the bike shop tomorrow to test ride the Specialized Tricross Comp in 56 and 58 frame so would be good to get some advice before I go tomorrow afternoon. I wouldn’t want to buy a bike and later find something better would be more suitable.

Cheers all for any advice received.

Richard.

Will1985

Über Member
What about a Ribble winter/audax, or a Kinesis Racelight T?

Cantilevers are rubbish when set up wrong. If you're concerned about braking, why not go for a frame which takes road single/dual pivot brakes?

levad

Veteran
I have a Surly Crosscheck that is built up with drops, mudguards and a rack. I use this everyday (almost!) for commuting and have just stripped off the rack and mudguards to get ready for my first Sportive. Very comfortable steel frame.

Bugner

Condor Fratello:biggrin: I have just ordered one.

Incidentally, I currently own a Tricross. I commute 100m per week and have down some 100k Audaxes on it as well. Haven't loaded it up with panniers yet, although these can be taken on both front and back.

To resolve the fork judder on the cantilevers, I bought one of these http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/BP1272F.html. It bolts to the top of the forks, because it changes the length of the cable from the brakes to the hanger, fork judder alleviated (something to do with resonance)

peanut

have you thought about building your own bike ?
Quite a challenge but very satisfying and rewarding. The two biggest plus points are that you learn lots about bike building which will help with servicing and maintenance .Also you can build the bike exactly how you want it.

Have a look at Fat birds don't fly. they have some amazing frame bargains at the moment .You can even 'build' your own bike on their website.
Ribble cycles are one of the cheapest for components and wheels.
http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=rsi-guido/Ambrosio_Guido_Audax_Winter_Trainer_Road_Frameset
http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/store.asp/d=3/c=46

Comatosed

I have a Specialized Tricross Sport. Last weekend I replaced the rear brake cable and got some advice on tweaking the break pads. Once they're well set up they work ok but you've just got to be mindful of them when pannier laden.

If you use the front brake on it's own then it will judder, but I mainly use the bake brake and just touch the front brake a little.

Otherwise it's a fantastic bike, really enjoyable to ride and very versitile. I do a lot of road riding on it but it's great to be able to jump gravel tracks, in which case you get some quite funny looks!

peanut

if the bike is juddering on braking its probably down to the brake pad material. Try changing your pads for another good quality make and type of material like Shimano 105.

Mmm just read bugner's post. Looks like it is a brake caliper problem which can be solved by the special hanger bugner has linked to

I have a racelight Tk and it is great for commuting and I have happily completed a 100 mile ride on it (I do 50 mile rides fairly regularly). It can take mudguards and panniers no problem. The Tk is a bit lighter and stiffer than the T but either would do the job for you and you would be able to build a good bike up for £1200.

I was originally looking at the Tricross sport, but I am glad I went for the Kinesis. Lovely bike.

OP
OP
R

rich05uk

Thanks all for your comments. I’ve looked at Fat Birds and although I like the idea of building my own bike, at this stage I don’t thinks it’s a good idea, I don’t know anywhere near enough to be able to build my own bike. Someday maybe but I just want to buy a bike and ride it asap. I will keep this in mind though for future bikes.

I’ve also just had a look at the Condor bike, very nice, especially the Gran Fondo, if I just could double my budget….. As for the Fratello, its steel and I don’t want to upset anyone here but, my current bike is steel and although its 8 years old, because I ride it all year round whatever the weather its gone very rusty, particularly around the bottom bracket and dropouts so I want to move away from steel if I can help it.

I’ve also just had a look at Ribble, you seem to get a lot for your money here, but not knowing enough about bikes, I am making my decision by simply test riding the bike and as I can’t test ride anything from Ribble, this will have to wait until my next bike I think?

I’ve been looking at this front Hanger that Bugner linked too. Not sure how this works and wondered if anyone can explain, how does it fit to the bike etc, is it something I could do myself with my limited ability? Another thought, is there anyway single/dual pivot brakes can be fitted to the Specialized Tricross Comp?

Cheers all for your help.

Rich,

When I said, build a good bike, it would be the bike shop that would do the building. I certainly didn't build mine. If you go into a good bike shop that sells frames etc, and tell them what type of bike you are after, how much you want to spend etc, they will put something together for you to try. This is what I did.

No disrespect to anyone with a Tricross, but I got a much better bike by doing this as the bike is personalised (and fitted) to you.

If you let us know where you live, roughly, I'm sure someone could recommend a good bike shop that could help you out, and allow you to do test rides.

OP
OP
R

rich05uk

Ok, I live near Shrewsbury, Shropshire. There are a couple of good bike shops in Shrewsbury itself, between them they stock a range from Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cube, Bianchi & Kinesis. Unfortunately their stocks are not so good so they have limited bikes to test, plus they only allow you to ride up and down the road in front of the shop. I like to ride up and down a few hills to get a good feel for the bike, I have found a good place near Coventry that sells Specialized, Trek & Giant with a good stock of everything in all sizes and they allow you to take the bike around a set route through the village of approx 1 mile and includes a couple of good hills. Trouble is it takes me almost 2 hours to travel to this shop, well worth it though.

So is there a shop anywhere near me which would sell bikes from Ribble, Kinesis etc and would allow me to take it for a decent test ride, I don’t mind traveling up to about 2 hours to visit a bike store if its highly recommended. Also, what happens if they order everything in to build me a custom bike and I don’t like it? Surely they wouldn’t be happy to be left with a bike they are unlikely to sell to someone else?

Cheers, Richard.

Obviously I can't help you, being from Glasgow, but I'm sure someone will come along.

You don't always have to try the exact bike that you will buy. I tried out a Racelight T before buying the Tk. I knew the geometry would be the same and that the ride quality should be better. So not much risk.

Also if the bike shop is good, they will find a way to sell the bike, or will just swap the components onto other bikes and sell those.

Good luck with your search!:eek:

Bugner

rich05uk said:
I’ve been looking at this front Hanger that Bugner linked too. Not sure how this works and wondered if anyone can explain, how does it fit to the bike etc, is it something I could do myself with my limited ability? Another thought, is there anyway single/dual pivot brakes can be fitted to the Specialized Tricross Comp?

Cheers all for your help.

You literally bolt it to the top of the fork. There is already a hole there to take mudguards, then you just re-route the cable through that hanger. by default the hanger on the Tricross is on the stem and this is what causes the fork judder, as there is a large distance bewteen hanger and actual brakes. Trying to find a pic, that will help explain, If I find one I will post it

OP
OP
R

rich05uk

If you could find a pic, that would be great. Thanks Bugner.

I assume I can't fit standard single/dual pivot brakes then to this bike? I’ve been looking at various reviews which suggest fitting Shimano BR-R550 Cantilever Breaks to replace the breaks that come with the bike, no idea if this works or if they are any good? Specialized say they will replace with V Breaks FOC but i've also read that V breaks with Road/STi levers are usless aswell.

Top Bottom