Help im Soaking in sweat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sannesley

Just when we're on the subject are there any other jackets similar in function to the pocket rocket that anyone could reccomend?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A windproof fleece jacket with just a t-shirt (or if you're posh a wicking thermal style thing) underneath works fine for me for much of the year. Somewhat waterproof if you keep moving - in the sense that it doesn't really soak through as your body heat keeps the inside dryish.

Altura used to do a nice mid-priced (circa £50) one - but hard to order online as it looks identical to their "waterproof" one - which is a different thing entirely. The usual makes do similar. If budget permits, I've also got a blingtastic Assos one - model 851, but I got a deal so wasn't quite as buttock-clenchingly expensive as it might have been - but that's definitely a winter only thing.

And as others have said, you're probably wearing too much. Wear less, but if unsure, stick an extra jumper in your bag in case

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I just tend to wear a running t shirt with my Enduro Convert jacket, I even sweat with just that on , mainly on my back as I wear a backpack.

Dress so you are abit chilly when first going out but are comftorable when you get moving

This above !

young Ed

Veteran
Somebody will not like this post, but when I was overweight I used to sweat more than I do now I am back down to a good weight.
stop being fattist! RANT RANT RANT!
only messing about, but you are right. personally i have never been over weight but i do notice that fat/over weight people do sweat more, culd be they are carrying more weight than a healthy weight person? also over weight people are MORE LIKELY to be less fit if their weight is from fat rather than muscle?

as others have said though, less layers. i have a mate who went to the arctic where it was -20 or colder all day everyday and there was plenty of snow, when you are doing any work such as chopping fire wood you strip right down to just a t-shirt just before you begin and as soon as you are done put everything back on again. this way you don't end up sweating during the physical activity which would end up with the sweat freezing and you are in BIG trouble but when you are done you don't get regular hypothermia from just plain being too cold.
a similar idea could be applied in your situation
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
oh and my self, i quite happily run in below freezing temps in just a short sleeve jersey but when cycling go for a long sleeve lycra base layer and a short sleeve jersey on top (no long sleeve jersey in my procession) as i'm not moving my arms but they are very exposed to wind chill
i am a fit and healthy, healthy weight 16 year old lad at 6 foot and weighing in at about just over 10 stone (183 cm and 65 kg in modern money) if it is of any relevance
Cheers Ed

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Just when we're on the subject are there any other jackets similar in function to the pocket rocket that anyone could reccomend?
When I started riding I wasn't sure how long I'd do it for so kept expense to a minimum. I bought one of these in bright green. I've been wearing it over a fleece & getting a bit clammy but from the comments I've seen on fleeces I'm not surprised. Anyway, yesterday I was cycling along the towpath when it started to rain & I thought, I'll just try to get a bit farther & turn back. Then the heaven's opened & I remembered why cycling capes were invented!:rain:! The only part of me to remain dry was that under the jacket.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a veriety of cycling tops, and one of the tops I don't use unless it's sub zero with just 1 base layer). Usually gets a bit warm on the way home from a commute.

You are most likely over dressed. Be careful though, being under dressed is no fun in the cold.

vickster

Legendary Member
Perhaps try some technical fabrics that are of a higher quality than aldi. More thinner layers than a few thick ones. A quality wind proof with or without sleeves is certainly a worthwhile investment

Leaway2

Lycrist
I only wear a cycle long sleeve jersey + Altura coat. I don't wear the coat as soon as my commute is in the light unless it is raining. I carry a light rain top in my back pocket (Aldi £6.00). I do wear extra gloves and shoe covers though, as those are the bits that get cold.

ayceejay

Guru
In the olden days when TdeF riders reached the summit of a climb people would hand up newspapers for them to stuff in their jersey for the decent, most would avoid any Murdoch rag for fear of veering off to the right ^_^. Anyway, as I was saying, when removing layers be aware of sweat on the chest which can cool very quickly when on a bike and this can lead to illness. To this end avoid cotton or any fabric that holds the sweat and consider wind proofing before something like fleece.

Top Bottom