Help, l need some advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a photograph of the underside of the top tube where the rear brake cable enters . As you can see there is rust all round the entry point. Any practical advice on how to "stop the rot" would be very gratefully received :sad:

si_c

Guru
If you don't want to get a full repaint done, then what I'd probably do would be to sand the poor paint surface off and remove the worst of the rust, then clean it, dry it and apply a clear coat over the top to protect it.

Use one of those anti rust gels to get every bit out.
After painting, I would treat the inside of the tube with some wax/oil stuff.
Check that water or condensation is not pooling at the internal tube ends.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That looks a bit nasty. Shouldn't have affected the inside of the tube too much as water will drain down but it might have reduced the metal thickness at that point. It's not a stress area so will likely be okay.
I should sand it down to bare metal and use a file to smooth it or a bit of filler. You might get a reasonable match with nail varnish.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
That looks a bit nasty. Shouldn't have affected the inside of the tube too much as water will drain down but it might have reduced the metal thickness at that point. It's not a stress area so will likely be okay.
I should sand it down to bare metal and use a file to smooth it or a bit of filler. You might get a reasonable match with nail varnish.
Thanks for that , l will give it a try. It is effecting my Look 233 , one of my precious (to me) collection of steel Look bikes ....very upsetting :sad:

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Thank you one and all for your advice......l've had a go . I sanded and scraped back to bear metal , applied rust preventer/remover and then did my "best" with a couple of rattle cans . I did get some on the bike but quite a bit on the kitchen floor tiles and a radiator ^_^ All is well though because thinners is a life saver and the boss is out riding her horses!!

No where near perfect but rust is gone and l'm happy ^_^^_^

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
And most importantly the other half doesn't know about you getting paint all over the place, which is a good result since women are often most unreasonable about little DIY accidents and seem to think it's a really big deal. :laugh:
Yes l've noticed that female characteristic and yet when a horse has a bit of a problem and the vet is called in ...followed by a not inconsiderable vets'. bill ,it is as if the money is of no consequence and l am unreasonable even mentioning the subject:rolleyes:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You seem to have grasped the concept of sex equality. :laugh: You are in the wrong if you do something they disapprove of, but they can't ever be in the wrong as they are always right about everything.... Just go for a beer and don't bother trying to argue - you won't win. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
You seem to have grasped the concept of sex equality. :laugh: You are in the wrong if you do something they disapprove of, but they can't ever be in the wrong as they are always right about everything.... Just go for a beer and don't bother trying to argue - you won't win. :rolleyes:
Yep! as my old father used to say to me " we are all equal but some of us are more equal than others":rolleyes:

Top Bottom