Help me buy lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew20

Heyyyy

I want to buy front and back lights

Isnt 1000 lumens only middle brightness though?

Does IPX5 work in the heaviest possible rains, (not that I'd cycle then but I want to see how sturdy), or is that IPX6?

How do convert IPnumbernumber to IPXnumber?

My budget is £25 tops but really I want around £20 tops ideally. I want brightest, widest angle, furthest light, longest battery, most weatherproof, most trusted company, most durable inside £25 tops and it has to be removable when I park the bike to go to a shop...

£25 both overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Matthew20

Want to use it to be seen by car drivers but also to help me see

Jody

Stubborn git
My budget is £25 tops but really I want around £20 tops ideally. I want brightest, widest angle, furthest light, longest battery, most weatherproof, most trusted company, most durable inside £25 tops and it has to be removable when I park the bike to go to a shop...

Decide what you want the most because £25 isn't going get you a lot on your list. You will have to up your budget considerably.

Font light, bright, wide and longest would be a cheap Magicshine/Cree type light with a diffuser lense. Separate battery pack and wire means it isn't a pop on and off type light. They aren't usually weatherproof unless you upgrade the batteries and battery box.

vickster

Legendary Member
Clearly not quite in budget if wanting 2 lights but these work well for me, extremely easy to take on and off, very much a be seen light (am a suburban rider) but do light up signs etc well. Decent battery life, usb chargeable
https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2497196/products/moon-meteor-x-auto-rechargeable-light--black.aspx

OP
OP
M

Matthew20

Clearly not quite in budget if wanting 2 lights but these work well for me, extremely easy to take on and off, very much a be seen light (am a suburban rider) but do light up signs etc well. Decent battery life, usb chargeable
https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2497196/products/moon-meteor-x-auto-rechargeable-light--black.aspx
Thanks. are they rain proof? why are they only 450 lumens? ive seen 1000 lumens good ratings on amazon for that price

i ask because i like what you posted im really considering i could buy it

do they hold firmly placed strapped on riding?

figbat

Slippery scientist
1000 lumens is very bright for urban road use. You don't need it. Also, you can treat the lumen claims from cheap lights with zero credibility.

@vickster has found a good option - Moon are a decent enough supplier (I have a Meteor 200 that has done me well) and it seems to meet price and performance targets. I use very cheap rear lights from Planet X on all my bikes; they are bright and reliable and being so cheap are effectively disposable (although I have not yet needed to dispose of one).

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. are they rain proof? why are they only 450 lumens? ive seen 1000 lumens good ratings on amazon for that price

i ask because i like what you posted im really considering i could buy it

do they hold firmly placed strapped on riding?
Yes waterproof although in the dark I personally avoid riding in the rain (I’m no longer a commuter so I do not have to go out). I pretty much avoid nighttime winter riding anyhow.
I’ve never had an issue with coming off, the rubber band and light clip are secure. May need to adjust angle depending on conditions but that takes 2 seconds.

where are you Cycling? Lit roads or pitch Black Country lanes or off road?
The latter as above you need to massively increase your budget for anything decent.
If the former, do NOT get a super bright light. It can be truly horrific for other cyclists being blinded :angry::angry:
and not safe to blind motorists either. And do NOT put a light on your helmet :angry: :angry:

Last edited:
There are lumens and there are lumens directed where you need them most.
Cycle specific light optics such as defined by the German standard, concentrate the light in a rectangular area on the road ahead, with peripheral " see me" spots. Generic flashlight optics just give concentric patterns of illumination and light up the sky to little effect.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
There are lumens and there are lumens directed where you need them most.
Cycle specific light optics such as defined by the German standard, concentrate the light in a rectangular area on the road ahead, with peripheral " see me" spots. Generic flashlight optics just give concentric patterns of illumination and light up the sky to little effect.
Yep, 3000LM with no diffuser lens and a massive hotspot, is just a massive hotspot with no usable light.. Then aim it wrong, as soo many do

Top Bottom