Help me buy lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
Where lights are concerned, don't mess about. It's 100% got to be something from China.

For the rear, as someone else has already mentioned, a Phaart Bleep from Planet X is an excellent choice. Really bright, cheap (they often knock them out for £1.50 a pop) and dependable. In my experience, the batteries last for >1,800 miles - possibly a lot longer. Only thing I will say is that I've always used them on bikes with mudguards, so I can't vouch for how long they would survive in the rain on a bike without guards. Rather than keep taking it off, throw away the bracket it comes with and zip tie it on somewhere permanently - either the seat post or seat clamp. This might require a bit of creativity to get it straight. Taking lights on and off bikes quickly gets old, especially for a light that costs £1.50.

For the front the Magicshine 808 copies that you can get off ebay for under £15 are excellent (CREE XML T6 on ebay). Very bright, reliable and mine has been 100% waterproof for thousands of miles in all conditions. Really good battery life too. The wide angle lens is a must - available off ebay for a few quid, although mine was a bit of a faff to fit and needed a different thickness o-ring. These aren't ideal for taking on and off due to the separate battery - if I needed to do this I'd permanently fix the battery under the stem with zip ties and leave it on the bike and remove just the lamp bit (tbh, I'd probably find a way to zip tie the light on too).

These are serious lights and you'll need to take care not to dazzle oncoming motorists.

monkers

Veteran
We bought these Bell bike lights from Asda for both of our bikes for £20 per pair. Dead easy to fit and remove, just seconds. Front one is USB rechargeable, rear is 2 x AA batteries. The front has two light intensities plus a pulse setting - bright enough to be seen and see where you are going. Rear has one continuous light setting plus slow and fast pulse settings. Versatile, cheap, easy to fit, and weatherproof. We have no complaints with them at all.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...rgeable-bicycle-light-set-black/1000116564050

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Just to add to you potential confusion - I would never go out in winter/dark without two sets of lights. I want a backup in case one fails or needs recharging & I at the front I like to have one steady so I can see & another flashing to make me more obvious to others sharing the cyclepaths.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. are they rain proof? why are they only 450 lumens? ive seen 1000 lumens good ratings on amazon for that price

i ask because i like what you posted im really considering i could buy it

do they hold firmly placed strapped on riding?
I quite like the Smart rear lights, you need to spend £20 at Fawkes to get free delivery, so you could get one of these within your £25 budget

https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2490997/products/smart-diamond-rl407r--3-led-rear-light.aspx

or a couple of these (I often run 2 rear lights)
https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2477047/products/raliegh-rx30-rear-light.aspx

Or something a bit better from Moon
https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2477002/products/moon-pulsar-rear-light.aspx

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning

This might explain IP ratings, IPX5 should be fine for general use, I doubt you'll be cycling underwater much!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I picked up a Moon Meteor 450 lumen thing. It was actually decent enough for pitch black commute in winter. Can get a rear light with the change. However save up some more and spend a bit more it is after all safety we are talking about. Lastly plenty fans of the gazzilion lumen chinese lights on here but I`ve found them terrible and falls to bits.

Of course I`ve been through all kinds of lights , due to breakages or not happy with them. last year a put some money down on Exposure lights instead, shop smart and they can be picked up reasonable enough but not at £25....

Last edited:
Top Bottom