Help me get over 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd say just ride a tad slower/easier and eat smaller amounts more often. Let the bike do the work.

Adjust your pace to keep a bit more in the tank. I could be wrong, but I reckon we can only burn fuel at a certain rate no matter how much we poke in, so sometimes, there's fuel there, but not in an easily usable form.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Raise your backside out of the saddle every now and then. This'll help in two ways. The obvious saddle ache and also stretches a few different muscles in your legs and back.
Coast down hills if you can. Count it as 'free mileage'
Good luck with the ride!

:smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
50 miles in 3.5 hours is 14.2mph on average. Either that was done without stops, in which case slow down a bit and stop every so often, or else that was done with stops, in which case slow down a lot.

Dates are a very good source of quick-release sugar, but I wouldn't rely on them for fuel for a long distance. If you're not already using an isotonic drink of some kind you might also find that helps you keep going for longer.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm not entirely convinced about the general slowing-down advice when you have a lot of miles to cover. Making good progress while it's easy (flat and/or with a tailwind) is good for morale, especially if riding alone. @User doesn't mention whether there will be anyone riding with him. Moving as fast as you can without really pushing yourself, when your legs are fresh, also leaves you time when it matters - to have proper breaks with real food. Ideally, If I were doing a 100+ miler with the tougher stuff in the second half, I'd aim to have porridge or muesli for breakfast, get on the road at 6:30, and have about 40 miles behind me before stopping for a second breakfast of something like a bacon roll or beans on toast, with plenty of tea - the key thing being to stop before you feel really tired or hungry, but to press on another few miles if you're feeling lively. There's no need to rush the stops - psychologically I like to give myself an hour for a proper meal stop, but actually leave with 10 mins or so to spare, so that I'm already a couple of miles down the road when I "should" be leaving. An early start means that you can have a well-fed morning and the timing will still work for a proper lunch stop according to duff British food-serving conventions. Light but substantial lunch is the answer - something like a jacket spud being ideal. If you've got 70+ miles behind you by lunch, you're laughing. Then you can slow down when you really need to - for the tough, hilly stuff - and just accept the inevitable plummeting of your average speed in the last third of the ride, knowing you've earned yourself a nice cushion of afternoon time. I am not one for attacking long hills, but I like to milk the downhills for everything they are worth. You reach your destination, have a nice bath or shower, a decent meal and as much celebratory beer as you can handle without courting a hangover, go to bed earlyish, and repeat...

Top Bottom