1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me identify my bike.

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by megtilly1, 30 Jan 2018.

1. megtilly1

megtilly1 Member

hi I bought this also few years back and have asked a few local bike shops if they knew what it was.one guy said frame and forks are not matching?and possibly 70s Raleigh.It is in my opinion quite light so possibly Reynolds tubing.I cannot find frame nunder as it has been enamel coated.i will add close up pictures later.More pics as promised.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 30 Jan 2018
    Illaveago likes this.
  2. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

A better, close-up photo would help including the lugs, joins, etc. At the moment it looks like a steel bike without mudguard eyelets even on close-up!

3. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

The fork lugs do seem different from the frame lugs, so could be an indication that the forks a replacement.

However, I hope you do not intend riding it without a front brake - it is not safe and probably illegal as it is.

But a nice bike.

Illaveago and megtilly1 like this.
  4. Nothing illegal if you ride it on a track.

5. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

But would have to remove the rear brake to make it track legal.

And I'm not sure if those red dice are strictly legal either.

Drago likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Member

hey lay off the dust caps,reminds me of my bmx days.will take close up pics later.I only ride it in local park with my little one so no danger of the law pulling me.

Sharky likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Member

I've added some close up pictures now.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2018
  8. midlife

midlife Veteran

Looks like a Falcon with those lugs and seat stays...I'll have a think about which model.

Illaveago likes this.
  9. midlife

midlife Veteran

Photo0029.jpg

Photo0030.jpg

Could be a black diamond, Falcon used the same name for a multitude of bikes, generally getting lower down the pecking order as time went on.

Illaveago and Drago like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Member

hmmm yes does look like that apart frolm the Falcon has the mudguard eyelets on rear dropouts and mine doesn't,unless somebody cut them off mine?

11. midlife

midlife Veteran

Those lugs and seat stays were used on a range of Falcon, Merckx, Coventry Eagle frames BITD. The lugs were a sort of variant mimicking the Carlton Flyer.

Someone has probably removed the mudguard eyes as stamped droputs usually had them . The brazed on top tube guides puts the frame after the mid to late 70's as the girls who made the frames weren't taught to do them until later.

I worked in a bike shop back in the 70's that sold Falcon bikes. Opening one of their boxes was a bit like Forrest Gump and his chocolates.....you never knew what you were going to get lol

Illaveago likes this.
  12. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

That was his mom!!

midlife likes this.
  13. midlife

midlife Veteran

Yup, on her death bed.....one of my favourite films for a variety of reasons.

classic33 likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Member

soooooo is it a Falcon mid to late 70s possibly?

Illaveago likes this.
  15. midlife

midlife Veteran

To my eyes it's a Falcon clan member late 70's - early 80's.

Illaveago likes this.