Help me with my annoying tic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Sounds like the BB to me, quite a common thing on alloy frames. Try some plumbers tape on the threads.

If not that it might be the chain rings. I put a lick of Areldite on the seat of the bolt heads on mine.

Mr Pig said:
Sounds like the BB to me, quite a common thing on alloy frames. Try some plumbers tape on the threads.

If not that it might be the chain rings. I put a lick of Areldite on the seat of the bolt heads on mine.

As a full time mechanic and a qualified plumber I disagree wholeheartedly. Plumbers tape and 'Areldite' have no place on a bike.

And 'a common thing on alloy frames'? Really? Is that steel alloys, aluminum alloys or Ti alloys?

If you meant 'a common thing on alu frames' it's still tosh. Where do you get your 'information' from?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Plumbers tape is a very bad thing and not meant to be anywhere near bikes.

but i think some sort of threadlock might not be a bad thing on some threads, but not anywhere near a BB. They are hard enough to remove without 'glueing' them in place.
A smidge of grease is all thats needed on a BB

Mr Pig

mickle said:
If you meant 'a common thing on alu frames' it's still tosh. Where do you get your 'information' from?

Dales, the bike shop where I bought my bike. They said that the BB clicking in the frame was quite a common thing on aluminium frames.

The plumbers tape was my idea, why is it bad? It worked and didn't make the BB harder to get out. What does the tape do that is bad?

Also, what is wrong with using Areldite to seat the head of a bolt? That also worked perfectly well. It won't stick to the metal, it's not the right type of glue for that. It just fills the cracks around it, like a self-forming plastic lock-washer.

jags

Guru
User this noise seems to be catching i have a look kx carbon and i have the exact same noise i also cant figure this one out .so far i have stripped the whole bike and put it back re greased and checked everything ,changed shoes and peddals as a last resort but still this bloody clicking noise ,what are we going to do my friend is there a bike genius on this forum if so please help us now....

walker

No. It's a more definite click than that would make.

Are you using a cadence sensor?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Mr Paul - did the ticking continue if you were riding out of the saddle ? I'd not rule out the seatpost if I was you.

Anyway - I think you'd be safe enough to reassemble the bike with the current BB, making sure you grease everything up nicely beforehand (including the BB spline / crank interfaces !). If it still ticks afterwards and you've checked the seatpost, then it might be worth replacing the BB....

bonj2

Did you manage it without the special tools?

i've TOLD you before, you should get PROPER clipless pedals! not single sided non-roadie ones. They're the cause of all your woes.

Top Bottom