Help me with my annoying tic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Stupid suggestion, but have you got a pump on the side of the frame?
My pump slipped down slightly and when i put was go down a hill and when i was peddling it was making a ticking, but a loud one. I thought the bottom bracket had gone and went to the LBS and he checked and it hadn't. I went off and it was still doing it and then i noticed the pump had slipped down slightly and the crank was hitting it.:biggrin:
Never told bike shop though.:biggrin::blush:

GrahamG

Guru
Just for reference I've had the same thing on a couple of bikes on several occasions with four different sources:

1. Crankbolts loose - this was the loudest and most annoying creak.
2. Saddle clamp loose - a bit easier to diagnose but still annoying.
3. Rear mech jockey wheels - I remember to oil these regularly now!
4. Handlebar clamp loose - those quill stems need to be really tight!

Just thought I'd add for reference seeing as you could check all four of those in less time than it takes to remove a crankset & BB (best to check the little things first right?).

Iceniner

I had the same problem crop up at almost the same time you posted User! Ive taken off the crank arms and regreased (i couldnt get the bottom bracket out) them and popped them back on. This seems to be have beaten the problem for now!

byegad

Legendary Member
GrahamG said:
Just for reference I've had the same thing on a couple of bikes on several occasions with four different sources:

1. Crankbolts loose - this was the loudest and most annoying creak.
2. Saddle clamp loose - a bit easier to diagnose but still annoying.
3. Rear mech jockey wheels - I remember to oil these regularly now!
4. Handlebar clamp loose - those quill stems need to be really tight!

Just thought I'd add for reference seeing as you could check all four of those in less time than it takes to remove a crankset & BB (best to check the little things first right?).

I'd add Saddle jointing I.E. between the bit you sit on and the frame. I had this on one bike and it took ages to trace!!!

Top Bottom