Help me work out what extras I need to buy for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Co2 is a great quick way to inflate on the road but i have had an inflator explode and if you have more than one flat and you have used your cannisters.... for commuting i use panniers personally as i even have to carry a flask for work atm as we have no drink making faciities bar the overpriced vending machines due to the virus, add in food, clothes, waterproofs etc and its amazing how much you can call "essential".For commuting carry a topeak road morph pump which is basically a mini track pump and you can get up to pressure very quickly.For leisure rides a have an inflator in the saddle bagand a mini pump on the frame. Another useful thing to carry is a tyreboot which can cover a split in a tyre if you have a split .Quck link chain connector, if your chain breaks and you have a chain tool you can join the chain quickly i have never had a chain break but you never know ).
Lights
I have a variety ranging from see me flashers to retina burning lights for country lanes mid winter in the pitch black of night shift starts . I have moved onto usb charging lights but if you run battery powered consider rechargeable batteries as a long term plan to save money .

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
CO2 is perfectly fine if you have the right inflator and if you practice it. As with many things, out on the road isn't the time to be working out how to use CO2 so do get used to it at home. An inflator that has a button or trigger makes your CO2 controllable and they're no bigger than the "one shot" deals of a few years back. And less prone to mistakes of the user.

I've often gone CO2 only when I've been on my road bike and when I do that I carry 3 cartridges and 2 tubes. The point that a pump is unlimited, (and what happens when your cartridges run out) is completely fair, it just depends on how light or minimal you want to go.
On a tour I carry a pump and CO2 for what it's worth. I've not used either in years, just to put things in perspective!

Mark pallister

Meant to have said home pump, lights and glasses have already.

Interesting that people are less keen on Co2 - I thought it looked a good, light system (and quick) - the mini pumps I have had in the past have not been that great!

I am unlikely to bike to work in the wet - hence why some clip on types are probably my preference, in my old job I would bike 4 days a week in weeks like this, and maybe only a few days in the whole of Dec.

Have towels, showers & lockers at work so would be leaving all that stuff there when I drive in - I may take a small rucksack in if needed and if I had to cold utilise by rack and pannier from hybrid which just attaches to the seat.

Shoes - undecided. I know that I have lost footing when going for it in the past, and as this will be for exercise too I think there are some advantages but as I have not used them before I dont know whether I will use them a few times then abandon, or be my best friend!!!

I have a metal chain lock (combo) with fabric covering, fairly thick and I guess just wrap it round the bar
Unless your just doing 2ml trips to the shops get some shoes and clip in
i can’t see what people’s problem is with it ,yes it sometimes takes a bit of getting used to it but it feels so much better
feet stay on the pedals in the comfortable position you’ve set for them and pedal stroke feels smoother and stronger

GilesM

Legendary Member
Unless your just doing 2ml trips to the shops get some shoes and clip in
i can’t see what people’s problem is with it ,yes it sometimes takes a bit of getting used to it but it feels so much better
feet stay on the pedals in the comfortable position you’ve set for them and pedal stroke feels smoother and stronger

I agree, get the SPD shoes and pedals, it really does make a huge difference.
As others have mentioned, the CO2 pumps can be a bit hit or miss, just get a decent mini pump that attaches to the bottle cage screws.
If it's for a bike that you don't plan to race on, go for proper fitted mudguards (not clip on ones), they make all the difference, and it's not just when it's raining, it's when the roads are wet and/or muddy.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OT (except CO2 canisters have been suggested)
The whole CO2 thing is environmentally unfriendly and to be avoided (maybe justified with a tubeless puncture which doesn't seal and then needs a 'boost' to get the rims on after worming). Even then you have potentially sealant and CO2 reactive incompatibility. Air is freely available and short effective pumps (to get up to finish the ride pressure) likewise.
IGMC

Top Bottom