1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...my Cateye computer is malfunctioning

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 26 Sep 2007.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I have tried to download the instruction manual but I just get a load of goobleygook coding in a word doc (something is probably wrong my end).

I have a Cateye velo 5 bottom of the range computer. Everything on it is fine except the distance function which is not working when I spin the wheel. The magnet is in place and all connections seem ok (although it behaves as if there is a loose connection i.e it works intermitantly for a few seconds then goes off again).

It has not got wet and I can timagine it's a battery fault as all the other funtions are ok and the display looks normal.:sad::wacko::eek::wacko:

I tried a gentle tap....should I beat it harder?xx(:smile:

2. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Did you say that your son had fiddled with the settings BTFB? IIRC you can do a reset by holding in all the buttons....try that..xx(

3. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...no he had a watch that was on german time...would a reset loose my odometer level? I am proud of my 2766.1 km on it...which of course doesnt include todays efforts:biggrin:

4. stevenb

stevenb New Member

it would clear it mate....but it might be the only way. besides...you can write down your distance for personal reference. xx( :sad:

5. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

BTFB - A site like bikejournal.com or Everyday Cycling might be somewhere to store your mileage/trip info in case of it happening again. IIRC, bike journal allows you to put in "existing" mileage (to add to your new rides).

6. Number14

Number14 Senior Member

BTFB - If you're getting gobbledegook in a word document it may because the instruction manual is a pdf file.

You need Adobe Reader to view it. Try www.adobe.com to download the free reader.

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Think he's right BTFB, I just downloaded it and it opened straight away on adobe