Help my with Brompton options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I have both a Trek (a Dahon with a different badge on it) and a Brompton. The difference between the two is like the difference between a Trabant and a Skoda. Neither is exactly fashionable, but one just makes you feel good about being on it. The only advantage to the Trek is that I'm willing to leave it locked up outside - in 17 years of Brompton ownership I have never ever left it unattended in a public place.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
For a five mile trip, I can't see why you would want to 6 speed with its derailleur complications over the simplicity of 3 speed.

S bars give you a more direct steering feel than M bars, certainly worth trying.

The little knog lights are great for in street lit areas and don't interfere with fold.

no view on luggage

Brommyboy

Über Member
The Brompton derailleur consists of just a small slider to move the chain between the sprockets. There is very little added to the non-derailleur version.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hi all, just thought I'd report back on my test ride:

I loved the Brompton.It was much nicer to ride than I'd expected - it seemed to be quite fast though that might just've been the small wheels. The bike I borrowed was a 6 speed and it managed the route with no problem. However, yesterday was ideal cycling weather - it might be a bit of a struggle in today's gale.
I like the way you can fold the back wheel under and stand it like that and I didn't have too much trouble folding and unfolding it.

I've had a long chat this morning with a member of staff in the bike shop. She's been riding a Brompton regularly for a few years (since before she worked in the shop) so she was able to give me a few tips. I've more or less decided on the bike spec - just need to think about the colour :smile: and which bag to get.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The small wheels make them fast to accelerate, especially coupled with the gearing on the 6-speed. You'll usually win the traffic light GP on a Brompton. :-)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Anne,

You say you like the park position with the rear wheel folded under.

Worth repeating the bike stands like this much better with a rear carrier.

It's also another reason to buy a front mounted bag because, of course, you can't park the bike with anything on the carrier.

Although I suppose you could with one of those bags that hang off the seatpost.

Any luggage will reduce the stability of the parked bike because the weight is quite high.

My Brommie has a front bag and has toppled a couple of times.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Thanks Pale Rider. Just about everyone is advising the front mounted bag so I'm going with that. Just need to decide which bag to get. I may ended up with more than one eventually but I want to start off with one that'll be most useful.

I don't imagine that I'll be parking it with it's wheel folded under very often. I just thought that it's a handy thing to be able to do - saves having to find something to lean it against like I do with the hybrid.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Since you are going to use the front luggage block there's another tip for the longer term.

The block can loosen on its mounting bolts over time, bag weight and road vibration can then cause the bolts to shear.

That's a mess to sort out, so it's worth giving the block a wiggle now and again to make sure it is not coming loose.

Other than that, Brommies are fairly bomb proof.

Some reports of the rear deraileur sticking on its slider on six speeds, but routine drive train maintenance should keep that in check.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Since you are going to use the front luggage block there's another tip for the longer term.

The block can loosen on its mounting bolts over time, bag weight and road vibration can then cause the bolts to shear.

That's a mess to sort out, so it's worth giving the block a wiggle now and again to make sure it is not coming loose.

Other than that, Brommies are fairly bomb proof.

Some reports of the rear deraileur sticking on its slider on six speeds, but routine drive train maintenance should keep that in check.

Thanks, you can keep me on track with all this maintenance stuff when it arrives. I'm hoping to place the order at the weekend and then it'll depend on how long they're taking to build & deliver.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm hoping to place the order at the weekend.

You mentioned the colour earlier, partly in jest, but it needs to be right.

A Brompton is a bike you only buy once, so you will be living with it for years.

My advice would be don't skimp - if the colour combination you like is an extra £50 or £60, have it.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

You mentioned the colour earlier, partly in jest, but it needs to be right.

A Brompton is a bike you only buy once, so you will be living with it for years.
Yeah, I've been thinking that. It's going to be around for a long time...
For that reason I've ruled out the bright & fashionable colours. Pretty keen on racing green at the minute...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
For that reason I've ruled out the bright & fashionable colours. Pretty keen on racing green at the minute...
You see some shocking clashing fork and frame combos around now that you can pick different colours for these. don't make that mistake

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I have an apple green frame and dark green extremities for a kind of 'country Brompton' motif.

I'd post a pic, but the bike's in my static caravan - in the country.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have an apple green frame and dark green extremities for a kind of 'country Brompton' motif.

I'd post a pic, but the bike's in my static caravan - in the country.

that sounds OK.

ive seen bright yellow and bright blue combo and a pink with red extremeties. brompton should really cancel their order and shoot the customer rather than turning out such combos.

I think whne I ordered mine, if you chose the titatnium stuff you only had a choice of a dark blue (exclusive to Titanium range) or Black for the rest.

The celeste colour (not sure if brompton call it celeste or whether only Bianchi call that blue that name) looks nice.

Top Bottom