help needed finding a suspension corrected rigid fork (non tapered)

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by ultraviolet, 28 Feb 2018.

1. ultraviolet

ultraviolet it can't rain all the time....

i'm looking for a rigid fork for my MTB , but not having much luck; all the ones i've seen / got are 'suspension corrected' for what seems like a 80mm fork and i would like something a little longer so i was wondering about a 29er rigid fork which is corrected thus giving me more height.
    i could just get one and leave enough space another inch + of headset spacers but in my head that seems a bit pointless.
    why i'm asking on here is that most online shops seem to have a very limited range and i would like some brand names to look at and see what they offer

thanks in advance for any info :-)

2. meta lon

meta lon Guru

eBay Carbon disc fork in cycles

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

On-One do their own.

Kona P2s used to be the go-to.

4. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

I went down this route, then in the end because I wanted budget, went for a non-corrected fork for about £15 and used a stack of spacers. It all seems to work well enough.

5. Nibor

Nibor Über Member

Surly Krampus fork my LBS had some I some to him Blood Sweat And Gears accrington 01254 233948

6. OP
    OP
    ultraviolet

thanks for that, the On-One website tells me exactly what size i should be looking for [490mm] so i can go from there.
    the P2's are nice but are only for old bikes with a longer headtube, well, my pair are

Mister Paul likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    ultraviolet

thanks, although i was looking for something carbon or aluminum really. [which i didn't say in my original post, sorry]

8. OP
    OP
    ultraviolet

the problem is with a budget fork i couldn't trust it on fast descents. but your idea is sound

9. OP
    OP
    ultraviolet

any recommendations?

10. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

I converted my bike to a commuter - so no 3ft drop offs to worry about, some pretty gnarly potholes though. In your situation, if you are going to hammer the forks, I would be getting decent forks like you suggest.

11. meta lon

meta lon Guru

12. BSOh

BSOh Senior Member

ultraviolet likes this.
  13. Nibor

Nibor Über Member

Steel is real and very comfortable the Krampus ones aren't that heavy either. Carbon or Aluminium may shake your fillings out lol.

14. ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles Veteran

Retrobike is worth checking out, I picked up a rigid fork to replace the clapped out RST fork on my MTB a couple of years ago. Kona P2s are supposed to be great. I ended up with a spinner fork (branded as Marin rockstar) and that's pretty nice too.

When I made the switch I agonised over axle-to-crown lengths, offsets etc. The fork I ended up getting was a fair bit shorter than the sus fork it replaced (by around 40mm if I remember correctly), and it hasn't negatively effected the handling one jot. So I wouldn't worry too much about getting an exact match.

15. OP
    OP
    ultraviolet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice