Help needed ... I think I'm going to buy an Audi or a BMW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ferrari?
pedalcar09.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
They are not that guzzly (if that's a word)
If it's not it bloody well ought to be!:thumbsup:

Be the 4wd Octavia Estate for me, that is if I wanted 4wd.
I kept considering px-ing mine, for a 4x4 estate (not the Scout), with the 2.0Tdi (150BHP) & 6-speed manual

The replacement of our 58 plate c maxis not something i look forward come the day

I have tried the VW Passat estate and that was quite nice but again it's a Skoda with a different dress on ^_^

We had a C-Max a few years ago, & I detested it! ('57' plate)
I got to the point of leaving it unlocked outside the house, with windows down
Thieves around here must be more discerning than I thought, it never went!!!
It constantly misted up, but no internal damp, A/C had to be constantly on
Best thing about it... LED tail-lights!!!

My Octavia, on the other hand...…..
KN11 RPZ. Interior. 10.JPG
The only picture, I have of the shed:angry:

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203128449964403&set=a.10203128295800549&type=3&theater

A while ago, when Audi were introducing updated/new A4s, a friend wanted a new car for towing his 'Big White Shed On Wheels'
His wife was a badge-snob (still is, with clothes/shoes)
He (she...?) wanted a A4 Avant quatro (or whatever they were calling the 4x4 by then)
The closest we found, as not all models were listed, was a 2.0 petrol front-drive

I was all set for talking him into a Scout
So we looked
2.0Tdi (150BHP), DSG transmission was still £4,000 less than the bog-basic A4 we 'priced' on the net
The quatro was later announced & about £9,000 more!!

So.……………… he's a convert
Wife spent the saved money on clothes
Now she has a CitiGo………… Result!!!!:okay:

Scouts are very capable, hence one reason that many Ambulance Trusts use them, even more so in snow!
'Ours' does!!

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208376723487961&set=a.10205766371550794&type=3&theater

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN0GnhkU5b0

Last edited:
OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
What do you hope 4X4 will do for you in Northamptonshire?
Fair point ... not particularly needed for the waste lands of Northants but can come in handy when on skiing holidays. After taking both fwd and 4wd cars skiing I prefer 4wd, the R certainly coped well with a few tricky situations.

KneesUp

Guru
If it must be AWD and an estate, I'd look at the Subaru Legacy, although the current Subaru estate is the Levorg, which only comes with weird engine / gearbox combinations if I recall correctly - and the last Legacy was ugly as hell - so the last good looking one is probably as old as your current car. Ignore me. As you were.

There are loads of smaller AWD cars if you don't need the size - you can get an AWD Panda or Suzuki Swift? The Suzuki S-Cross looks good value if you want a 'reasonable' compromise between 4x4 looks, car size and decent economy.

KneesUp

Guru
Fair point ... not particularly needed for the waste lands of Northants but can come in handy when on skiing holidays. After taking both fwd and 4wd cars skiing I prefer 4wd, the R certainly coped well with a few tricky situations.
Winter tyres and FWD is also very good, and doesn't cost extra every mile. That said, I quite fancy AWD myself now we use the car so much less.

Nearly went for 3 series touring as nice cars to drive but opted for 5 series in the end. Glad I did, you can get a shed load in them, couple of bikes etc.

Johnsop99

Veteran
This may possibly need to be part of the Personal Problems section.

We are looking to replace out trusty old Mercedes R Class - 10 years old, 130,000 on the clock. Looking around at the alternatives, the car which seems to tick most of the boxes is either a A4 Avent Quattro or a 3 series Tourer x drive.

As a cyclist I appreciate that Audi and BMW drivers are sworn enemies, how do I square this particular circle ?

In the interest of balance this is strictly a light hearted thread, I don't want any Audi or BMW owners to take offence !

If you go down the Audi/BMW route make sure that you get one with the optional speedometer/indicator pack fitted!

Top Bottom