Help needed moving to Cheltenham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
So. I know I've been absent for a few years. Globe trotting work didn't really fit within the cycling ideology.

So I'm here hoping for some pointers.

I've a job opportunity that basically the job description says if you don't have my full name and a grey moustache you've no chance of having the job. Luckily for me I have one and three quarters of those :biggrin:.

I'm currently (still) living in the beautiful city of Durham, but being originally from Redditch I am aware of Cheltenham and what some folks may call "the rough bits".

So this job is basically where the Tewkesbury Road crosses the railway tracks, by KFC on goggle old maps. I've lived most of my life in what I'd call "posh council" so council housing doesn't frighten me. But having said that, I'm aware that anything "N.W," off Princess Elizabeth Way is considered chavvy/rough/get knifed by 11 year olds for a pack of Fishermans Friends.

I'd like somewhere within easy walking distance (had a mini stroke 2 1/2 years ago and my left leg can hold me up but it still needs more training to push a peddle, especially around hilly Durham), say, 2 miles? That should take me, at most 3/4 hour. But closer the better.

Oh! I need a wee house, 2 possibly 3 bed, off road parking, need a small garden as we've inherited a small dog when my F-i-L passed away last year.

I'll honestly be sad to leave Durham. But on the other hand I''ll be over the moon to get a job that doesn't fall into the tory policy of "pay them minimum and let them be grateful" (Apologies for the political bit at the end).

And totally off-topic.... Many Many years ago there was a lass on here from York who appeared on t.v.. And I'm sorry I can't remember her name. She was also into knitting. She knitted me a "Little White Bull". If you are still about "woman I can't (sorry) remember your name", the little white bull you knitted me is still alive and well and standing defiantly behind a John Bull Dial Indicator on a shelf under my t.v.

So thanks for any help in advance.

classic33

Leg End Member
Welcome back, Four years gone and you're back.
Sorry I can't help with your move to Cheltenham Elmer, but I hope there's some on here from that direction who might be able to help.
You might have to wait, most are sleeping at present.

Nice to see you're still around and haven't forgot about here. Best o'luck with all the above and I hope you get sorted as quick as possible.

From York, do you mean @Arch?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yes classic33, it's Arch! Nice lovely lady/person. Thanks for reminding me. Names that don't quite hit the two connections needed to remember them bug me!!!

Now, Wot was your name again???? :P
Arch got married to Night Train and moved to Manchester, she's gone very quiet on here but still pops up on Twitter more regularly.

No help on your move but best of luck with it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ey up Elmer! Glad to hear the little white bull is still going.

As others have said, I'm not here very much nowadays, I didn't cycle at all for a while after I moved, and now I only commute to work twice a week, and I do that at a snail's pace... I spend more time over on the Garden Forum, you must pop in once you have your bijou garden in Cheltenham.

Sorry to hear about your mini stroke but glad you've recovered well. Good luck with the move!

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
^^ Hey Creamcrackered!. Thanks for the info. And everybody else btw. By the "roughbits" I'm sort of remembering hitting Cheltenham and turning right along Princess Lizzie Way.
Now I'm not saying its rough, just Cheltenham has a fur coat image, whereas, in reality, as my missus says "Fur coat and no knickers". But where you pointed out, around Swindon Road was what I was initially looking at. I'm more an "old semi/terraced with character" type man where you may get your car off road, rather than a "these are new houses, built in the 80's don't you know! No cars older than 5 years here".

And if you want to move, and you are of an age/ don't need engineering as a trade, then I can heartily recommend Durham as a city (UKs' smallest) to live. it's beautiful!. And I'm a Brummie by heart.

As an addendum (?) Creamcrackered, If I find anything on-line, will it be OK for me to ask your opinion on it?

Top Bottom