Help needed please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
My son has sent me a message he wants to put his single speed bike on a turbo trainer to get some exercise,and which one is ideal.Right how long is a piece of string.So i have suggested borrowing mine for six months to see how long the idea of turbo training lasts.But i would like to give him an idea of a good trainer at a competative price,northing too costly,so one and all thinking caps on please.Ideas needed thank you.

I think direct drive turbos like the elite muin and silento will be out the equation as they need to be geared bikes but if he does get one then they are superb and really quiet for about £100 second hand.

Tacx wheel on turbos with a metal roller are a good shout. I’ve found metal rollers are quieter than nylon equivalents. You can pick good second hand ones up for about £40-£50, more if you want the fancy smart trainers features.

I’d personally stay away from kinetic, found them solidly constructed but let down by the electronics been a bit fragile.

I’ve also tried Bkool ones, I don’t like the floating feature and found the wheel sometimes slipped when going hard.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If he wants some exercise why doesn't he get out in the 'currant bun' while it's around and wait for the winter to get a turbo?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Lots of fixies are available, but something like the Fuji Track is cheap enough and available for around £100.

A basic turbo trainer should be £20-30 via eBay/Facebook if not free by putting out a request. A smart turbo would be £100-150+ as stated above.

Top Bottom