Help Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys

I am new to biking and I have bought off a friend a Specialized Hardrock Pro, this is fine although I need to change the tyres from MTB to Hybrid/Road Tyres.

I use my bike for road use and canal pathways, I wont ever do off road. My questions is what bike would be best for a) the conditions I have stated above and b) someone new to biking?

Would a road bike be too tough to control/handle due to my limited experience and the tyres being so thin (28)

Many Thanks

Kies

Road bikes can handle well kept canal paths, if you want something that can handle both (rough canal & road) then go for a road hybrid with 28c all terrain tyres.

Have you had any experience of it or are you just looking at the spec?

Other one I quite like is http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CaadX-Tiagra-2013_56422.htm

I don't have direct experience of the CAADX bikes, but FWIW I do own a CAAD10 road bike.

The CAAD frames are regarded as the best alu frames money can buy.

I used to have a Focus Mares CX bike, and whilst it was very good at such time as I'm ever in a position to buy another CX bike it will definitely be a CAADX, although I suspect I'd go for the 105 model :whistle:

The hierarchy of mechanical Shimano components, (in increasing order from the first bike you linked), goes - Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace.

So the Tiagra is technically the better bike, but obviously costs more as well, and when you factor in the trickle down effect, ie: this years Sora is last years Tiagra etc, then there's not a lot to choose between them. That said I'd still stick to Tiagra or above, but that's just me, like I said I'd for the 105 version.

U

User6179

Thanks, going to take a trip into town to Evans Cycles and see what they have. Think a CX bike is for me though.

I have the caadx 105 , paid 800 quid less than a year ago , I like the bike , good frame and groupset ( slightly better n lighter than tiagra ) , the semi slick tyres roll like a racing tyre on tarmac , the seat is the first seat that came on a bike that was comfortable for me .

Downside is the wheels and brakes , the wheels are quite heavy and the rim surface is very rough causing the braking to be quite poor , Ive done 3000 miles and snapped 4 spokes on rear wheel also ( Im 90 kg ) , also the brake pads should be tossed straight away as the sqeal every time you brake , better pads also make the braking a bit better .

I would buy it again but only because of the price i got it for 800 quid , this allows me to upgrade the wheels and brakes to a decent standard and the bike will still cost me less than list price .

I would say only buy the caadx if your getting it discounted as its poor value at list price imo .

Def think its a cx bike though

Every mass produced bike you can buy has been built to a specific price point, and the ways manufacturers save money is to save ££'s in a few areas, and the main one is always wheels. Brakes also tend to be an area they save on as well. If you ask what is the best upgrade for my bike, the vast majority of people will say wheels straight away.

FYI, my CAAD10 had an RRP of £2.5k when I bought it, but I still upgraded the wheels before I even collected it as they'd been scrimped on as well, go figure.

Also, canti brakes as used by a lot of CX bikes are generally pretty crap TBH. As Eddy says above, better pads do improve things, but this also applies to rim brakes as well. The main factor in braking performance, and it is especially relevant with canti's is set up. You need them set up and adjusted just so, otherwise they'll feel crap, they'll sound crap and they'll be crap!

C'dale also do the CAADX with disc brakes as well now, but your jumping up the price ladder as they only seem to do them on the Ultegra model.

Last thing, if you don't know, Evans will order any bike you want from their warehouse for you to try. You pay a £50 deposit, they ring you when it's in , you go along and test it out. If you like it and buy the £50 is knocked off the balance, if you don't like it you tell them, they give you your £50 back and you walk away, happy days.

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
Every mass produced bike you can buy has been built to a specific price point, and the ways manufacturers save money is to save ££'s in a few areas, and the main one is always wheels. Brakes also tend to be an area they save on as well. If you ask what is the best upgrade for my bike, the vast majority of people will say wheels straight away.

FYI, my CAAD10 had an RRP of £2.5k when I bought it, but I still upgraded the wheels before I even collected it as they'd been scrimped on as well, go figure.

Also, canti brakes as used by a lot of CX bikes are generally pretty crap TBH. As Eddy says above, better pads do improve things, but this also applies to rim brakes as well. The main factor in braking performance, and it is especially relevant with canti's is set up. You need them set up and adjusted just so, otherwise they'll feel crap, they'll sound crap and they'll be crap!

C'dale also do the CAADX with disc brakes as well now, but your jumping up the price ladder as they only seem to do them on the Ultegra model.

Last thing, if you don't know, Evans will order any bike you want from their warehouse for you to try. You pay a £50 deposit, they ring you when it's in , you go along and test it out. If you like it and buy the £50 is knocked off the balance, if you don't like it you tell them, they give you your £50 back and you walk away, happy days.

I didnt know that, very handy to know

Thanks

Top Bottom