Help New tyre choice before i go mad !!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meirion658

I have just bought a pair of Mavic Kysrium Elite as a summer set and now need a pair/set of tyres for them. I will be mainly using them on well surfaced roads, training and the odd race here and there. I have been looking at the following

Michelin Pro 3 Race
Continental GP supersonic
Continental GP 4000

Which ones would be better for the wheels and my specific needs, there are soooooooo many to choose from starting to do my head in !!!!!

Thanks

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Only used thee Michelin's but I wouldn't think there's a lot between them performance wise.

Racing wise I would have thought a Veloflex Record 20mm/ latex inner tube would be hard to beat.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Michelin PR3's, light, very fast rolling, comfortable, and very grippy. P*ncture resistance is reasonable. Downside is that they're not the hardest wearing tyre, but well worth it for the grin-factor. God's own tyre.

monnet

Guru
Pro3's

I've ridden Conti GP4000 and GP4000s and they are good (I use the GP4000s on my training bike now) - fairly durable, pretty good in the wet. The 4000s is definitely better, I have found the 4000 to be a bit skittish in the wet.

Pro3's, as FF says, are God's own tyre. Nice and supple and grippy. Ok you don't get quite as much wear out of them as a Conti but they roll so much nicer. If you're racing/ doing anything vaguely speed oriented (even if it's sportive riding with long descents) the Pro3 is your tyre.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like GP4000, and they're a good all round tyre. In a lot of ways, that's the problem with them - they're not really bad in any way you can put your finger on, but they don't make the bike feel as lovely as it feels wearing Pro Race. I think GP4000 are probably slightly harder wearing than Pro Race, if that's a consideration.

OP
OP
Meirion658

Meirion658

Ok looks like the Pro 3's then, Anyone know where they could be had for a good price?

monnet

Guru
They crop up on ebay at a good price from time to time.

Other than that I think Parker are the most competitive at the moment - £23.75 a piece. Many colours available.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
monnet said:
They crop up on ebay at a good price from time to time.

Other than that I think Parker are the most competitive at the moment - £23.75 a piece. Many colours available.

+1 Parkers are always good on Michelins, no idea why but I've bought all of mine (Pr2s, PR3s, Krylion Carbons) from there as they're consistently cheapest.
£23.75 is a very good price.

Just out of interest, have some Ritchey WCS Protocols and maybe looking for some 23cs as opposed the 25cs I have on my older rims which I kinda' want to keep on them as the guy who sold me the wheels thought 23cs might be better. Besides, the newish rear, a Panaracer, (350 miles max over the last 6 weeks or so) has a rather dodgy looking crack to its side and although not in direct contact with the road I thought it looked a bit sketchy.

So, the general consensus is the Michelin Pro3s are good? I too found a good price...here...
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...-pnoBg&usg=AFQjCNE35sWTipRZd_OQNmSiiKcX43pqLA

Now, being a relative newcomer to road cycling again (I've only been saying that for about a year! :laugh:) and being in a frightfully good mood after a good ride today and other things, who'd like to tell me as of next week what benefits I'll enjoy with the above wheels (WCS protocols) and Pro 3s I will order compared with my current Alex Rims and the above Panaracer tyre (rear) and Kenda Kriterium (front)???

Go on, you know you'd love to...and I still want to make a small donation to the site like I promised I would, but where...?

Top Bottom