Help on hills needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As for this now ridiculous debate.......... I really do not understand why it is still going on!

Power output rules, if 2 riders are outputting the same power (constant), all other things being equal, they are going the same speed, therefore they will both get to the top at the same time, regardless of technique. In this respect B'n'Y is correct. This is the physics and it holds true.

However, where I disagree and where I believe the technique aspect comes into it is in allowing you to maintain that power output. If you are very tense, hunched up, weak core, wasting energy, then your requirement's for oxygen will be increased through this additional muscular activity, thus you will either cause an increase your HR which will send you towards the red (especially if your chest is closed up affecting your ability to breath, same as sticking your aero bars too close together or using drops that are too narrow) possibly oxygen debt and cause a drop in power output as the climb goes on, or if already at your limit, will thus end up sharing the precious oxygen your legs need with other parts of your body where is is not necessarily needed during this activity. To some degree the technique comes with fitness (agree with B'n'Y here, I have my own experience to go on and this is my experience), for some people though, they do odd things on the bike even as fitness goes up!

The arms folded thing, well if you want to use this example, the problem is that there is a requirement for some bracing of the bike in order to engage the core, to output the power, leave loose of the bars and power will drop. There will be a point of optimum bracing vs excess clenching. If it were somehow possible to sit upright with your arms relaxed hanging by your sides, yet still have the bike braced in order to engage the core, chances are, you probably could go up the hill faster (as long as the aerodynamic effect's do not cancel out the gain), but that's not how a bike works.

Basically, power rules, you can gain power by being fitter (this will give the largest gains, even if you fatigue and power drop's of, you will still likely be at or above the power output at that point of the climb than you had when you were less fit), or you can maximise the use of your current power producing abilities by adjusting your "technique" to reduce the power drop-of and delay fatigue. The smartest rides will do both to the best of their ability.

As for pacing a hill etc. I wouldn't call that technique, I would call it tactics.

If you want to see big gain's (minutes), suffering is the key, if you want to save a few seconds, by all means look at your technique.

endoman

But you know it doesn't actually work in the way you described though, don't you..?
expand please, genuinely interested, basics of physiology well understood.

Totally agree there is no substitute for fitness. My coach had me do a FTP test last week, other riders in same room, he pointed out their movements in the upper body and advised it better if you could remain relaxed. I do try and keep relaxed, as a relative newbie I haven't got much to unlearn which I think helps.

expand please, genuinely interested, basics of physiology well understood.

Totally agree there is no substitute for fitness. My coach had me do a FTP test last week, other riders in same room, he pointed out their movements in the upper body and advised it better if you could remain relaxed. I do try and keep relaxed, as a relative newbie I haven't got much to unlearn which I think helps.

Well, I'm no doctor, but let's have a go anyway. BTW, being relaxed is sound advice, that's true - certainly better than being tensed, although I'm not sure how much difference it actually makes. Anyway, the point of yours that I originally challenged was the notion that power could be 'diverted' to your legs in a similar way that the National Grid diverts power to urban areas during times of peak demand. It's already starting to sound silly, so let's get sillier....

Let's say you did an FTP test on the turbo, while also playing the violin (a ridiculous example perhaps, but frankly no more ridiculous than some of the other comments in this thread). How much power would playing the violin detract from your FTP score? Answer = it wouldn't. FTP is sub-maximal and so, I presume, is the effort required in playing the violin - although I don't actually play one myself, so am happy to be corrected on that.

Your leg muscles (or indeed any muscles) in conjunction with your CV system, can only process a finite amount of oxygen, as conditioned by the training that you do. Therefore, their performance is limited by your existing aerobic fitness, not by whatever your arms happen to be doing. Your arm muscles may indeed be less well-conditioned and you might actually tire of playing the violin long before your legs feel fatigued. But, one is not related to the other. Obviously these other muscles (arms, etc) are using energy regardless, but they are not taxing your CV system in anything like the way that your leg muscles are, so will not be hindering the supply of oxygen to your legs. So, unless playing the violin actually makes you breathless, then you can be confident that no power is being 'diverted' in a 'National Grid' stylee. So, you can carry on playing the violin while knocking out huge FTP numbers, safe in the knowledge that one is not doing any harm to the other.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As for this now ridiculous debate.......... I really do not understand why it is still going on!

Power output rules, if 2 riders are outputting the same power (constant), all other things being equal, they are going the same speed, therefore they will both get to the top at the same time, regardless of technique. In this respect B'n'Y is correct. This is the physics and it holds true.

Been sleeping on this and iI think the crux of the argument is: If the 2 riders are putting the same power through the cranks all other things being equal then the above is true and I agree with you and B n Y too.
However, earlier we were discussing people with equal fitness/power and in that case what they put out of the cranks is dependent on their mechanical efficiency with the bike which means they won't necessarily put out the same power at the cranks even if capable (which was my starting point) or be able to sustain it because they are not using their bodies or the machinery they're interfaced with optimally. IMO this is the 'technique' part, optimising what you have and in our case in relation to the bike. This is why bike 'fot/set-up' is important as B n Y alludes to earlier, it's not just about comfort it's about getting the maximum power available from your body through the cranks.

Whether you believe it or not, what I see when I ride alongside a newcomer struggling up a hill and proffer the 'advice' earlier is, I see them go faster, smoother and with less effort I don't have a stopwatch but I know I have to work harder to keep up and I see the reward at the top of the hill.
Having a compromised CV system, riding technique, style call it what you will (and tactics) are crucial to me to extract every ounce of speed to keep up!
I agree (again) they're not as big gains as overall fitness but as others vouch for and numerous random articles seem to agree there is technique employed in climbing which can help even fit people, it's simple to do and it has a value,

Back to the decorating :sad: .

lulubel

Über Member
I agree with b'n'y on this, up to a point.

From my personal experience ONLY, most of my speed improvements when climbing have come from increased fitness, combined with weight loss. I've improved my power to weight ratio, and this means I can get up hills faster.

However, there are a couple of things I've noticed about the way I climb hills that do make a difference. I stay in the saddle. (I think everyone agrees that this is more efficient because you're not having to support your body weight as well as turn the pedals.) I was bored on one of my regular rides the other week, and decided I was going to really ride hard and do every climb out of the saddle for a change. I wasn't any faster than if I really ride hard in the saddle, but by the time I got to the last climb, I was so exhausteded that I was veering all over the road. My power output was clearly the same, but I'd wasted a lot of energy somewhere to be that tired.

The other thing that's benefitted me is learning to breathe properly. Some people (like my other half) instinctively know how to breathe well, others tend to snatch at the air when their bodies are getting short on oxygen, which means they never empty their lungs, so only a small amount of oxygen can get in. If you find yourself doing this, the technique - and I do think it's the right word in this case - is to focus on the out breath, not the in breath. Make sure you empty your lungs, and your reflexes will fill them again for you. Once you have mastered this, you can focus on breathing fast and hard (but still keeping your breathing controlled when climbing), and you will get the maximum amount of oxygen into your lungs as quickly as possible. "Good" breathing is still not natural to me, and I sometimes find my legs are tiring on a climb, and then realise that I'm breathing shallowly or gasping for air. If I start to focus on my breathing, my legs recover, and I can continue climbing at the same intensity.

I think a lot of the argument in this post has come about because some of us just instinctively know how to ride to get the best performance for the minimum effort, maybe because it comes naturally, or maybe because they've cycled for so long that they learned these things without realising it. For others (and I include myself in this) riding well doesn't come naturally, so we have to learn to make little changes to make it easier, so we can go faster. We might call it technique.

C7KEN

Über Member
Well said lulubel, you are absolutely correct and have given a good example of using more energy than is necessary. If hills are short and very steep like one I do regular (its 18deg) I complete the second half of it standing as I find it easier but on all the long steady inclines sitting seems to work best. Something else I find helps is to count the crank revs to 100 then start again as it takes my mind of the pain. :smile:

Top Bottom