Help on hills needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nathanicola

What can i do to help with climbing? I ride with a group of work mates and we are all into Strava, on flat segments they can't keep up with me and i'm starting to pile up a fare few kom's. The same goes for sprinting i can leave them standing, but when we're out really pushing it and climb a hill i'm pretty much last every time and i just can't see why. As soon as we're over it i'm back in front again, is it a case of just climbing every day or is there any other sort of training i can do?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Power to weight ratio. If you're big or overweight hills are against you. Going down them though you'll be much faster down them due to gravity.

Only way to improve is to ride more hills repeatedly. Also lose weight if you can.

Nearly there

Veteran
What can i do to help with climbing? I ride with a group of work mates and we are all into Strava, on flat segments they can't keep up with me and i'm starting to pile up a fare few kom's. The same goes for sprinting i can leave them standing, but when we're out really pushing it and climb a hill i'm pretty much last every time and i just can't see why. As soon as we're over it i'm back in front again, is it a case of just climbing every day or is there any other sort of training i can do?
This is kinda how my strava stats go too but I know its because who I compete against im heavier so I expect to be slightly off pace on hill segments but im improving

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Increase power to weight.

You obviously have a decent amount of power? This will stand you in good stead and you should still be able to get decent at climbing, even if you are not particularly light. You can also increase your fitness, which will help substantially. Of course, climbing hills regularly will help too - practice makes perfect, and all that.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A lot of it is down to power to weight ratio. Chris Hoy wouldn't be quick up a long hill, but equally Chris Froome wouldn't be that quick on a short track sprint. You can improve your climbing by improving your aerobic fitness as well as losing weight. If the muscles you have work efficiently you will be able to use them for longer at their optimum level.

what is your height/weight..?

OP
OP
nathanicola

nathanicola

Thanks for replies lads, I'm 5'7, 64kg and 39yrs old dont know much about cycling fitness just bought a bike 6 months ago and started riding.Just can't see how i can hold high speeds for long distances but not climb so well and yet our best climber (and he really is good) admits that on the flats he stays stuck to my back wheel because he can't keep up.
Looks like i just got to keep climbing then. I have been avoiding hills and concentrating on the flat segments until now.
Would running improve my aerobic fitness or is it better to stick to the bike?

At 5'7 & 64kg there's not a lot wrong with your weight, tbh - which means the way forward is to work on improving your aerobic capacity and your ability to tolerate sustained high effort. Without knowing what 'high' speed you can hold for 'long distances' you obviously need to work on holding them higher or longer, or both. Improvement is about over-extending yourself on a regular basis, as opposed to riding within your current capabilities. Despite what you might read above, you don't need to ride up hills to become better at climbing.

Would running improve my aerobic fitness or is it better to stick to the bike?

Running would make you better at running - improvement on the bike is best done on the bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There's technique too which counts for a lot..
Relaxation is the key ... sit back in the saddle, relax your upper body, arms and shoulders and spin or drive from your lower back, buttocks and legs only. Find the right gear. Steady your breathing.
Stand on short sharp hills if that suits, but don't waaste unecessary energy throwing your body or bike around. Too many try to wrestle their steeds uphill.

Other than that, practice over and over again.

OP
OP
nathanicola

nathanicola

Thanks for all the help chap's, as for clinging to our fastest mountain goat that's all of 10 seconds .

There's technique too which counts for a lot..
Relaxation is the key ... sit back in the saddle, relax your upper body, arms and shoulders and spin or drive from your lower back, buttocks and legs only. Find the right gear. Steady your breathing.
Stand on short sharp hills if that suits, but don't waaste unecessary energy throwing your body or bike around. Too many try to wrestle their steeds uphill.

Other than that, practice over and over again.

You might have something there, i do find that when i'm really trying my neck arms and sholders go very tight

Top Bottom