Help on hills needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
<Mod hat on>

Please keep the personal insults/ comments out of this thread - actually, keep them out of CC - or you WILL be thread-banned or CC-banned for a while.

This applies to ALL threads (yes I am also watching the "Absorbing energy in your body" one ...)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
cool, so if I rode up a hill no handed and kept my arms folded, I would go even quicker..??
depends how you did it ....

I am rather disappointed with that answer, I was expecting something with a little bit more clarity as to why respected people tell you to ride hills in a particular way and a bit of scientific evidence dispelling any benefit attributable to position on the bike while climbing. Maybe even a graph showing identical power output curves while standing, seated and with the riders centre of gravity further back or forward in the saddle.

At least I asked. :thumbsup:

Like I say - if you're that interested, go look for it. Meanwhile, I have my own set of respected people whose opinions I value and whose advice I trust (and no, I'm not talking about 'Fab Foodie') - they're the ones telling me to forget about technique and focus on stuff that actually matters. Guess what - it works.

Fab Foodie

Like I say - if you're that interested, go look for it. Meanwhile, I have my own set of respected people whose opinions I value and whose advice I trust (and no, I'm not talking about 'Fab Foodie') - they're the ones telling me to forget about technique and focus on stuff that actually matters. Guess what - it works.
Blimey, I 'm dissapointed .... Good luck though ....

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

How do you know it works though?

How do you know it works though?

Because my results have improved and I have been climbing better this season than at any other time in the last 10 years or so. You know, tangible stuff...

Fab Foodie

Because my results have improved and I have been climbing better this season than at any other time in the last 10 years or so. You know, tangible stuff...
You really couldn't make this stuff up, so if we know peoples performance has improved through technique, that's not valid, only your improvements within your paradigms are tangible. LOL.
I'm gonna chuckle myself to sleep. Good night B n Y.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
<Mod hat on>

Please keep the personal insults/ comments out of this thread - actually, keep them out of CC - or you WILL be thread-banned or CC-banned for a while.

This applies to ALL threads (yes I am also watching the "Absorbing energy in your body" one ...)
I've somehow missed that one - is it worth a look? :whistle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
interesting debate,
My question is:

The same rider rides the same flat piece of road with the same gear and same pedal rate. On the first day he sit up high on the top bars and on the second bar he used the drops.

Which day is he quicker ? The day he sitting high on the bike causing a larger drag due wind resitance or when he is low down making himself more areodynamic.

Its common sense but its still a techique.

Erm......... same gear and same cadence = same speed, regardless of aero. The difference would be that the rider in the drops would need to output less power to achieve this speed.

You really couldn't make this stuff up, so if we know peoples performance has improved through technique, that's not valid, only your improvements within your paradigms are tangible. LOL.
I'm gonna chuckle myself to sleep. Good night B n Y.

There is a difference between someone feeling more comfortable going up a hill and someone actually going faster. What you have never been able to articulate is precisely how someone's sustainable power output has increased through the application of a few elementary riding tips. I've now given you a specific, tangible example (ie me - it's the best I can do) of how improved fitness has improved climbing ability (not that it should be needed). Perhaps you could now reciprocate by giving me a specific example where someone's real world, real time performance up hills has improved through technique. You perhaps? Presumably you use these wonderful techniques yourself..?? I'm still keen to improve myself, so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious here...I am, after all, inherently lazy...

endoman

Hang on, you think the human body works like the National Grid..? You think we can just divert 'power' from the upper body to the legs whenever we need to..?

if there is movement in the upper body it takes energy to produce that movement. The less movement the less energy needed. Of course keeping still requires energy to some degree. The less muscular contractions elsewhere the less "wasted" effort.

if there is movement in the upper body it takes energy to produce that movement. The less movement the less energy needed. Of course keeping still requires energy to some degree. The less muscular contractions elsewhere the less "wasted" effort.

But you know it doesn't actually work in the way you described though, don't you..?

Top Bottom